PDA

View Full Version : Anti-aliasing

Elizabeth S
09-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I am having some aliasing problems. All I'm doing is animating a model of a car coming towards the viewer. When the car is pretty far away, the aliasing is terrible. The car flickers a lot. I looked on another thread on this forum that suggested changing the graphics card settings, but there was no noticeable difference in my animation when I did this. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Attached is my model.

Thanks so much!

Elizabeth

k_iwan
09-17-2006, 11:43 PM
could you post screenshots? i 'm not sure how you car flickers.
thank you.

Elizabeth S
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
1. Attached are some screenshots that may help illustrate the flickering that I'm talking about. The headlights are especially bad, but the sides of the car wiggle /flicker too. The aliasing is the worse when the car is far away.
2. Is there any sort of interface that allows you to set graphics settings on an NVIDIA card (to help get rid of the anti-aliasing)?
3. Is there a way to set the color of a pixel (change its lighting settings, etc.)?

farshizzo
10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Do the headlights of the car contain a lot of polygons that overlap each other? It seems like you are experiencing Z-fighting artifacts, which occur when polygons are closely overlapped.

Elizabeth S
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think it's a polygon problem. That wouldn't explain the sides of the car flickering. Also, I get similar effects when I try to animate the mini cooper model that's included with Vizard.

Elizabeth S
10-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I have a video that shows you my problems. If you want to e-mail me at elizabethseward@yahoo.com, I'll send it to you.

Thanks.

farshizzo
10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I looked at your video and the flickering seems like normal behaviour. When rendering moving objects that are far away, you will usually notice flickering because the graphics card has a finite amount of pixels to fit all the geometry onto. Enabling anti-aliasing might help a little. Another method is to create an image of the car and render the image when the car is far away, instead of the actual polygons. However, this method is somewhat difficult because you need to create a smooth transition between rendering the image and the polygons.

Elizabeth S
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for your responses. :) I've been playing with the image/polygon transition and gotten resonsable results. I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks again.