PDA

View Full Version : Saving a variable through network

mikeb
01-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Vizard and was seeking advise on a project I'm working on.

I have a control program written in MatLab which I was hoping to communicate with a Vizard program. Ideally I would like to save a variable that can be used in Vizard which is sent from MatLab. I have become familiar with the basic networking commands and am able to send and retrieve data back and fourth.
For example using the below code I was able to retrieve data from MatLab.

myNetwork = viz.addNetwork('IP here')
myNetwork.port(4950)
def onNetwork(e):
if isinstance(e,viz.RawNetworkEvent):
print e.raw_data
viz.callback(viz.NETWORK_EVENT,onNetwork)

Is there an easy way to save this data as a variable to be used in a Vizard Script?

Thank you for your time, I hope I explained things as clearly as possible and I apologize if this is an extremely basic question.

Frank Verberne
01-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Hi mikeb,

When starting with Vizard, it's good to ask basic questions, so not worries. What you could try is instead of printing the raw data, you can assign that raw data to a variable in Vizard. I don't now the nature of your raw data, so maybe you need to assign one specific part of the raw data to a variable, but the principle is the same:
myNetwork = viz.addNetwork('IP here')
myNetwork.port(4950)
def onNetwork(e):
if isinstance(e,viz.RawNetworkEvent):
your_variable = e.raw_data
viz.callback(viz.NETWORK_EVENT,onNetwork)

For next time, it's better to use the CODE tags around your code to make it more readable. You can get those tags by clicking the hashtag (#) sign in the editing options for your message.

Good luck,
Frank