PDA

View Full Version : Importing material/objects from 3DS Max to Vizard

a_kiefer
04-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm attempting to import a wall with refractory material I created in 3DS Max. I am exporting the file as a .3ds file and when I try to pull it into Vizard the wall only shows up as a white object (the wall was created with a white color) with no refractory material. Can't figure out why this is happening. Do I need to export the file in a different format?

Jeff
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Try exporting to the OSG format. The OSG exporter for Max is available from our downloads page and the Vizard docs have some information about using it.

a_kiefer
04-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Is the exporter available for the latest 3DS Max version? I tried this with an older version of the 3DS Max software and it didn't change anything; however, when building the same wall and then exporting it in .3DS format using the latest 3DS Max version we get wall opacity, just no refraction. I'm thinking maybe using OSG format here might do the trick?

Veleno
04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Special materials like raytraced refraction cannot be used in realtime applications. It's not as much a Vizard limitation as it is a limitation of the medium. Currently, the exporter supports the following slots in the standard material:
-Diffuse (and opacity as an alpha channel of the diffuse texture)
-Self-Illumination
-Reflection (stored bitmap only)

Refraction can be simulated if you are able to write your own shaders, though it may be more trouble than it's worth.