PDA

View Full Version : Peripheral I/O possible with the Lite Edition?

johanzebin
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi everybody,
this is my first posting - since I need to clarify a rather general question concerning these "Sensor Plugins" and Vizard editions; but let me shortly explain why I ask in this way:

I'm a psychology student with little programming experience (and none whatsoever when it comes to peripheral I/O), however for my bachelor's thesis I need to program a (VERY basic) virtual reality... well the guys from a university collaborating in the project recommended Vizard :) ...

A mandatory part of the VR would be the integration of a custom-made device, most probably connected to the serial or USB port, which continuously has to get the (virtual camera's) heading information... i.e. based on the heading info, certain commands/bytes continuously have to be issued through the interface in real time.

What I need to know is whether this functionality would be covered in Vizard's Lite-Edition. My university normally has nothing to do with VRs, and since will not spend the money for a full-fledged license only for my convenience ;(
However I have to have a testing environment at home - the real experiments will be done elsewhere with full licensed software (no watermarks etc ;))
I'm mostly worried about this so-called Plug-in SDK, which is not contained in the Lite-package... could this maybe be necessary for my plans?

I really hope you can answer my question already based on this rather fuzzy description (if not, please let me know!), and that the answer is trivial and moreover to be answered with "yes, you can (do it with Lite)!" :D.

Cheers,
johanzebin

farshizzo
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
yes, you can (do it with Lite)!

There is a third party Python library called pySerial (http://pyserial.wiki.sourceforge.net/pySerial), which allows you to access the serial port within your Python script. Third party Python modules work with all versions of Vizard, even the trial version.

johanzebin
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Thank you for the fast reply! Then it's decided - I'll do it with Vizard :)

rlh001
02-01-2014, 06:23 AM
I also need pyserial and tried to download

pyserial-2.7.win32.exe (md5)
for Python 2.x (2.4...2.7)

I clicked install and got a message
"a problem caused the program to stop working"
and to close the program

rlh001
02-03-2014, 08:04 AM
problem solved. I got a download from somewhere else. This one asked for permission to install and then worked.