PDA

View Full Version : UE4 versus Worldviz question

rich0550
08-23-2016, 05:33 PM
I model in 3dsmax. Very little knowledge of Python. My question is. Coming in as such and wanting to make some interactive scenes for HTC vive; walk throughs, maybe disasembly, maybe decent but not crazy looking architecture.

Will it be easier to learn Vizard or UE4. Or should I even try it, just being a modeler. So far, it is absolutely GRINDING to get models the right scale, and in the right position into Vizard, learning all the little code that is needed, and modules that need to be implemented (vizconnect, act) so forth. The time to learn this sounds a bit scary.

Should I just go for UE4 maybe, being there are tons of detailed tutorials out there and maybe use the knowledge gained from that and come back to vizard later with those skills?

It seems like the user base here is pretty advanced, possibly people that have been around for a while. I looked at the tutorials but there is not much in the way of 1 hour, or multi 5 minute tutorials that cover each problem. I often train at Digital Tutors on large packages that have the most support. After a good 3-30 hours of training its usually no problem to produce some results. but not finding traction here.

Sorry quite newb here at all this.

Vaquero
08-25-2016, 06:17 PM
For a modeler (like myself) UE4 is much more intuitive, especially if you just want to create something that people can take a look at. Vizard is absolutely Python based, so placing nodes (objects, lights etc.) in the virtual environment for visual style is very cumbersome. And if you have little programming knowledge, you're probably better off with UE4's visual scripting nodes.
If you had lots of peripherals, like full body motion capture or so, than I'd say go with vizard. Or use VRPN in Unreal through the OSVR integration, but at the moment you'd then have to code a little in C++, I think.
So, if you want high visual quality and only have a HTC Vive, you may take a look at UE or Unity.
Worldviz has recently announced that they're developing plugins for Unreal and Unity, so you may get something from both worlds.