PDA

View Full Version : Making multiple blocks rise and fall with a sensor.

durf
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Hello,

Im trying to make a program that interacts with a sensor(ppt). Ill describe what I am trying to do:

Imagine a checkerboard.... each checker represents a block. The checkerboard is located horizontally on the x axis with a position starting position at lets say -10 on the y- axis.

The object of this program is when the ppt crosses over one of these blocks the block rises to y = 0. As the ppt moves off of the block the block falls back to y = -10.

My questions:

What is the best way to arrange all of these blocks at -10? position each image myself? a loop?(its the same image by the way just multiples of it)

How do I tell the block to rise when the sensor crosses over it?

What is the best way to make the block fall back to -10? gravity?

If I could just get some answers to get me going on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

DrunkenBrit
02-18-2009, 01:39 AM
What is the best way to arrange all of these blocks at -10? position each image myself? a loop?(its the same image by the way just multiples of it)

Probably using a for loop.

How do I tell the block to rise when the sensor crosses over it?

I've never used sensors before, but i'd imagine it will be a callback function that assigns the id of which block the sensor is over.

Then maybe a timer function callback that checks every 0.05 secs if a block is selected, increment it's Y value by e.g. 3 each call until it reaches 0 and then tell it to drop down again until it reaches -10.

(Why are you working from -10 in Y upto 0 and not 0 to +10 in Y? Any reason?)

What is the best way to make the block fall back to -10? gravity?

I'd suggest you look at the physics tutorials in Vizard, going from what i've browsed over, this should take care of this for you if i.e. you create a plane that represents the ground at -10 in Y, when a block is selected and moving upwards to 0 you could disable physics specifically for this selected block, once it reaches 0 in Y, enable physics again and gravity should take care of bringing the block back down and the collision plane stop it going below -10 in Y, but also don't allow the block to bounce back up etc.

Check out the physics2.py tutorial, this demo's some balls hitting a ground, might be a starting point.

Note to Admin: Running physics2.py tutorial causes the window to close after a couple of seconds and "ODE Message: warning: destroying world containing grouped joints" is outputted constantly in the console window. I have to manually close winviz.exe through Task Manager before this stops.

As a start point you could just try and get the logic working with one block then add the others in there.