WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 06-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Integrated orientation tracker in zSight HMD

Hi All,

Our lab recently purchased a zSight HMD, which integrated a 3DOF orientation tracker. We were exciting that a simple code can make it work, as below:

Code:
import sensics

hmd = sensics.zSight_60()
tracker = sensics.zSightSensor()
viz.link(tracker, viz.MainView)
However, my question is how to determine the tracker coordinates with respect to the real world. Is the tracker coordinates fixed or does it depend on the initial (physical) status of the HMD? How do we align, for example, the +Z axis in the virtual world to the physical north of the real world.

Another question is that it seems the default position of the HMD is fixed (i.e. 1.76 m above the ground). Is there a way to change the default position of the zSight tracker?

Thanks in advance.
Zhi
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
WorldViz Team Member

I'm not sure how the zSight sensor calibrates itself. You might need to ask Sensics about this. Either way, you will need to apply a postEuler operator on the view link to align it with your virtual north. Example:
Code:
view_link = viz.link(tracker, viz.MainView)
view_link.postEuler([45,0,0])
The zSight sensor does not provide position data. So you will need to either link a position tracker to the view or manually control the viz.MainView object yourself. For example, if you need to position the view at [1,2,3], you would use the following code:
Code:
viz.MainView.setPosition([1,2,3])
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Thank you farshizzo. I have contacted sensics support team. They told me that zSight tracker is not self calibrated. So, I made a calibration function using the code you suggested.

Zhi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: