WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 11-13-2004, 04:48 PM

Software good for VR for Docs???

Hello.
I am a Dr. with some ideas for some medical immersive VR reality. What I'd like to do is to have a patient stand in front of the monitor, have the video camera 'scan' them for a few moments, and then alter their image as they move (or even if they stay still). For example, if someone has a scar or a tatoo on their arm or face, I would like them to place their arm in front of the monitor and they would see the 'healed' arm, or how it would look with scar 'healed' or the tatoo off. Has anyone done that? Is that possible with this software?

This is the first time I've used this forum, and I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Edd
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
WorldViz Team Member

I know some work has been done in clinical psycholgy using VR to alter one's body image. The best resource for this is probably the vrpsych list server. I think you can subscribe and maybe search archives here:

http://www.tile.net/lists/index.php?list_id=14895

Regarding our software, the answer isn't simple. Your application description is a tall order from many perspectives and something that will require considerable development and programming effort from scratch, and that's assuming you find existing techniques for all the features you desire and don't need to conduct basic R&D. In many ways, our software tools would be good for this but in comparison to what you'll have to develop on your own, our tools would contribute a small amount to copleting the entire project.

Hope that helps a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: