WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 10-19-2005, 07:53 AM

quad buffered stereo?

I've just been evaluating Vizard with the downloadable trial copy, so I don't know if it is complete or not.

Does Vizard support a frame-alternating stereoscopic mode? OpenGL refers to this as "quad buffered stereo" mode.

The only stereo imaging I've seen in the trial copy is a side-by-side format, where each eye's viewport is half of the screen, and both eyes get the full refresh rate.

Quad buffered stereo modes is important for passive (polarized glasses) or active (shutter glasses) projection screens.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Yes, Vizard certainly does support active (frame-sequential) stereo. If you're running on graphics hardware that has OpenGL stereo support (i.e., quad buffers) then you simply issue:

viz.go(viz.QUAD_BUFFER)

This will trigger stereo mode to run as you desire.

If you're intending to run on a consumer level graphics card that does not support hardware level quad buffering, then you'll need to obtain a stereo driver that is compatible with your graphics card and graphics driver. We only have experience with nVidia's consumer stereo drivers. These are not 100% reliable and for any professional active stereo installation, a true quad buffering card is a must.

One last caveat, QUAD_BUFFER will work in either windowed or fullscreen mode. The consumer level stereo driver by nVidia only works in fullscreen mode, so with the trial version of Vizard the only limitation that will affect you is the fact that fullscreen mode last for only 10 sec in the evaluation version.

Let us know if you have remaining questions.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:28 PM

Thanks much for the quick reply. I'm working with a hardware quadbuffer. Just didn't find a tutorial with a mention of that symbol. Good to know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: