WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Precision Position Tracker (PPT)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 AM

Bluetooth VRPN

Has anyone attempted streaming PPT data via VRPN over a Bluetooth connection? I'm having fits trying to send data through a University (wireless) network and I'm looking for other options.

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM

Bluetooth Update

UPDATE: Well, it worked beautifully on the first attempt... for about 30 seconds. Then it disconnected itself and I've been unable to get it back.

Is there an issue with the Com port number? I set the PPT to broadcast on VRPN and created a 'Bluetooth virtual serial port' connection that initially worked (as I mentioned above) when the PPT was bluetooth-ing on Com 6. Subsequent attempts used Com 7 and Com 8 (and possibly Com 6 again?) unsuccessfully.

On a related note, is there a way to set the PPT software to broadcast on Com7 rather than choosing Com1, Com2, Com3, Com4, or VRPN?

I'll keep trying. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM

UPDATE 2: Apparently Bluetooth Serial connections behave like traditional serial connections in that they have an 'inactivity timer' to terminate the connection if no applications request use of it. That's why my tracking was cut off.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM

UPDATE 3: I was able to set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network (PAN) using the default Bluetooth network connection feature. After a few glitches along the way (i.e., Windows Firewall, Windows File sharing and Network Visibility, Windows Workgroups, etc.) I was able to get the PPT data to stream quite well.

Details for other interested parties...
- PPT set to broadcast via VRPN
- Both computers in same Workgroup
- Both computers with shared resources (e.g., a share folder / printer) to make them visible to each other on the network
- Windows Firewall OFF
- It helps to have both computers running the same user name and password to facilitate Windows sharing permissions
- Bluetooth connection in "network connection" mode

P.S. - Shutting down the firewall fixed my original Wi-Fi problem. How it got re-enabled over the Summer, I'll never know. At least it led to a good excercise in Bluetoothing PPT data.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Bluetooth problems

We are working with the Rocketfish bluetooth device. It previously worked with no problem and now it is failing on all of our compuers. We downloaded new drivers on all of our computers and the Wii works with one of our laptops but not the second laptop or desktop. Vizard is detecting it but it is failing to create the extension

" ERROR: Failed to create extension sensor with wiimote.dle"

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Maurissa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: