WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Sorry I forgot to mention that. You definitely need to compile the plugins using Visual Studio 2008.

We're hoping to finalize the new plugin interface before the final release. When that's ready there will be a more complete example of how to interact with your plugin objects from the Python script. The old style plugins will still be compatible though.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshizzo View Post
We're hoping to finalize the new plugin interface before the final release. When that's ready there will be a more complete example of how to interact with your plugin objects from the Python script.
Ah, such a more complete example will definately be very welcome. I've just been experimenting with adding my own functions to the CustomDrawable object in the example code (my final aim is to provide to Vizard a rather extensive rendering library I normally use with a GLUT based program, so all I want to do is write a interface/wrapper).

This came out to be rather complicated Am I doing this right? The below code shows the growing exprression (i send the pointers to cout to still if they're still valid or I've made a mistake).
Code:
cout << ((VizCustomNodeObj*)custom)->node << endl;
cout << osg::dynamic_pointer_cast<osg::Geode>(((VizCustomNodeObj*)custom)->node) << endl;
cout << osg::dynamic_pointer_cast<osg::Geode>(((VizCustomNodeObj*)custom)->node)->getDrawableList()[0] << endl;
cout << osg::dynamic_pointer_cast<CustomDrawable>(osg::dynamic_pointer_cast<osg::Geode>(((VizCustomNodeObj*)custom)->node)->getDrawableList()[0]) << endl;
osg::dynamic_pointer_cast<CustomDrawable>(osg::dynamic_pointer_cast<osg::Geode>(((VizCustomNodeObj*)custom)->node)->getDrawableList()[0])->ToggleAnimate();
I can now toggle whether the example object is stretched or not :P

Best,
Dee
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Oh, I have another question:
How do I communicate fatal, execution-halting errors to Vizard from my plugin? As there's C code in between, I can't throw exceptions (right?), so how can I make Vizard stop execution from my plugin then (I know I can send info to stdout from the plugin, so I don't need a way to send a message along as well, just the execution halt)?

Thanks!
Dee
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Ah, another thing I hope you could add to the documentation:

The plugin is compiled with _SECURE_SCL=0. This means that if you call functions in libraries that also take stl containers, those libraries also have to be compiled with preprocessro definition set. Otherwise, vectro has a different size and you get difficult to trace errors (I just spent a few hours on this)...

Best,
Dee