WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 10-05-2005, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to vsully
optomization thoughts

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows of the best ways to optomize a world, considering:

- there are about 4-5 avatars in the FOV at a given time

- data (user head and ori) is being written to file at about 20Hz

- each avatar has a behavior object that possesses multiple timers, one of which occasionally updates avatars head orientation at about 45Hz, and logic that adds random animation .act()'s to the avatar.

i'm doing geometry optomization as well, i'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to streamline the code operations and/or which calls are processor expensive.

currently i'm getting about 45fsp.

thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

I can't comment too much since I don't know exactly which calls you are making.

Writing to a file might cause some slow down. Trying appending the data to a string, and then write the string to the file at the end of your script. This might help a little.

Also, make sure you are not creating any speech actions on the fly. Speech actions take some time to load, so you definitely should pre-load them at the beginning of your script.

Also, do you have any On-The-Fly objects in your script that you are dynamically changing? If you are, try issuing the <node>.dynamic() command on it.

In general, you should try to avoid adding objects at runtime.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:39 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

I forgot to mention one more thing. When your script is running, press F4 twice to display detailed statistics about the frame rate.

The "Update" time is the amount of milliseconds your script is taking to update (i.e. handle callbacks and timers).

The "Cull" time is the amount of milliseconds it is taking to preprocess the scene for drawing (i.e. perform view frustum culling).

The "Draw" time is the amount of milliseconds it is taking to draw a frame.

This way you can tell if the slowdown is from the script logic, or from drawing the models.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: