WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Ways to improve motion capturing (smoothness etc.)?

Hello everybody

Whenever we are tracking a person, the animations are quite jumpy, e.g. they are not smooth. For example, for a fraction of a second the left hand is on the right side and vice versa, or the foot is up in the air etc., although our captured person does not do such strange movements.

Our equipment is the following:

- We have 4 cameras in our 5x5m room, they are calibrated quite well (99.8%)
- We have one LED marker on the HMD, one on the left hand, one on the right hand, one on the left ankle and one on the right foot
- We simulate the hip marker

We are using Precision Position Trackers.

So, what can be done to improve the stability of the representation of the avatar? Is there maybe a way to interpolate the movements or something?

Thanks a lot for help
Josh
Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi Josh,
I'm not an expert with PPT, but there are several more questions that would need to be answered in order to figure out what is going on for your setting:

A) are you using active markers (i.e. markers that have marker-Identification). you would recognize those markers as small black boxes that are re-chargable.
this is what you should use if you use the PPT for motion capture like you seem to be doing

B) are you using a PPTX or PPTH system? typically for PPT MOCAP, PPTH is the preferred system as it picks up markers a lot faster when they get lost

C) please ensure that you are working with the latest version of PPT Studio --
it would be good if you could contact support@worldviz.com (which is the Worldviz closed support forum, a ticket based system)

D) in case you use PPTX and non-marker-ID markers (which I suspect you are), then
it's still possible to optimize your system for PPT-MOCAP. your problems sounds like the camera threshold is set in a way that some markers go in and out possibly during movement. again, the way to debug this is to write a support request at support@worldviz.com.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 PM

hi mspusch

Thanks for your reply.

A) We use active markers.
B) I don't know which one we use, I will ask my mentor.
C) Our system is brand new (about 4 months old, I guess), but I will check that tomorrow
D) The camera threshold looks good to me: when calibrating we reach a percent of 99.8!

So all in all you think this is not normal, right? So I will send this thread to the worldviz support system.

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
WorldViz Team Member

hi josh, correct, the flickering is not normal. as long as there is no occlusion, the tracking should be smooth. there is likely a setting wrong somewhere, or something else going on.

as you have a support contract and the conversation is already established in the support forum, I think we should end this thead. I think most lilkely our support technician will do a screen sharing session with you and try to see what is wrong with your PPT settings.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: