WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 AM

3D stereo: problem with depth perception

Hi,
I’m trying to achieve depth perception using Trivisio Stereo goggles however facing difficulty in doing so.
Up to now I’ve tried all display modes such as viz.STEREO|viz.FULLSCREEN, viz.STEREO|viz.HMD, etc. In addition I used all types of settings such as dualview, horizontal span, etc. but nothing worked. I can see the two shifted views but am not getting the 3D depth perception.
Furthermore, I’ve played with all the parameters as:
viz.stereooverlap(1),viz.fov(24, 1.33),viz.ipd(0.06),viz.viewdist(10), etc

I was wondering if there’s some trouble shooting or way of achieving depth perception. The environment I’m working on consists of VRML/3DS models of car assembly. By the way I've checked all the forums and tried the suggestions before posting that thread.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

What graphics card are you using? Did you follow the instructions on the Trivisio website? http://www.trivisio.com/stereosetup01.html

It seems like the goggles use frame-sequential stereo. This needs to be handled through your graphics card. nVidia provides a special stereo driver for these types of setups. The link should explain how to set this up.

Once installed, all you need to do in Vizard is enable fullscreen with viz.go(viz.FULLSCREEN)
Old 04-25-2007, 07:25 PM

Hi,
The graphics card I’m using is nvidia 7600GT and I’ve tried nvidia’s stereo drivers and some other application as well, such as More3D but still no depth.
I was just wondering how Vizard handles the depth. I mean does it present different objects at different disparities i.e. the objects that are closer in the view should possess higher x-axis offset then the objects at higher distance.
Otherwise if the Vizard windows show the environment as an image that is on one plane then just by shifting the image won’t give depth perception.
Considering, in many earlier threads, people asked similar question and apparently achieved the solution leads me to an understanding that there is something missing in my code. Waiting for your response!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

Vizard simply renders the scene in mono. The nVidia stereo drivers will automatically apply an offset to the view every frame, alternating between left and right. Did you enable stereo through the driver control panel? When setup correctly, the scene should appear to flicker between the left and right views. Also, make sure the driver version for you graphics card matches the version of the stereo drivers. That should be it, there is nothing else you will need to do within Vizard (other than starting in viz.FULLSCREEN mode).
Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Hi,
I tried all possible ways but still no luck. As I mentioned earlier I’m getting the image offset but depth is missing and that can only happen if all the objects in the image are rendered in the same plane, i.e. the offset is same.
I could even achieve the offset by just using Vizard with viz.STEREO without any stereo drivers as I’m using ARvision3D HMD with two separate streams coming in. The offset is always there and I can even change it but depth is not there. That is, most probably, all the objects in the image are rendered with similar offset.
In addition, I’ve tried that “Gallery” Demo provided with the Vizard but again the depth is missing. I really have nothing left to check on my side therefore waiting for your valuable suggestions.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

I looked up the specs for your device (below) and it seems like you really need 'vertical split' stereo, which is the most common stereo mode.
You will NOT need any stereo features enabled with your graphics card, but simply you need to make sure your graphics card outputs spanned over two screens.

Follow the instructions at

http://www.worldviz.com/support/hardware_faqs.html

to set up your graphics card.
Now when you run a Vizard program and start it with viz.go(viz.STEREO | viz.FULLSCREEN | viz.HMD) then it should render two views and one should show up on the left screen (if you connect a screen) and one should show up on the right screen.
You can switch the Vizard rendering window between fullscreen and small with the F2 key.

Now if the HMD is connected correctly, you should see stereo.

Hope that helps.

Matthias

Stereo: 2 independent channels (no sync needed)
Digital magnifier: built-in electronic zoom 8x
Mode switch: 5 modes
Basic mode: with built-in camera
Second mode: same + digital zoom
Third mode: Composite video, S-video in NTSC or PAL
Fourth mode: external video zoomed
Fifth mode: SVGA (from PC) 800 x 600@ 60/75/80/100Hz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: