WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 04-16-2006, 02:40 AM

Child Object Rotation

I am trying to get a child object to rotate about it owns center. The child object is offset in the model and also rotated. When I used the rotate command regardless of Absoute or Relative the object will always rotate about an axis using the offset within the parent.

I tried switching the Parent to World and then I tried to translate back to origin before rotating. This also does not work.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please tell me the procedure for rotating a child object about itself.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:38 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

It seems as though there is another transform below the child object, or the actual geometry of the child object is not centered around the origin. To check if there is a transform below the child object follow these steps:

1) Locate the model in the "Resource" view of your script in Vizard.
2) Right-click on the model and click "Properties"
3) Expand the items in the tree until you locate the child name
4) Transform nodes are represented by a yellow gear looking icon (see attached image) If there are any of these nodes below your child node then rotations may cause offsets.

The most practical solution is to call getchild on a node that doesn't have a transform below it. If this doesn't fix your problem, then that means the actual geometry data of your model is not centered around the origin. To fix this you will have to modify your model in some 3D editor.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2006, 04:50 PM

more rotating child problems

Hi-

I'm trying to rotate a child of a VRML model along its own center. I've set the pivot in 3ds max but when I export to VRML, use getchild in Vizard, and then try to apply a rotation, the rotation occurs about the entire model's center. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong in 3ds max but I can't figure it out. Does anyone have an idea . . . .

-Condileeza Rice
Old 08-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Did you check in Vizard if there is a transform bellow the child object as talked about by farshizio?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Yes. There aren't any transform nodes below the child.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:33 AM

still having problem

I'm still unable to rotate the child around it's local coordinate system. The getting started tutorial rotates a child around its own axis. Does anyone have that original 3dmax file so I could look at it and see what the settings are?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: