WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Unhappy Normal map problem

Hi Vizards!

I am trying to use a normal map in Vizard which should be straightforward, but guess what! I have read all the related posts in the forum but nothing helps. I have tried two ways:
- apply the map as a normal bump in 3DSMax (image '_3ds render') and export in osg format to Vizard (image '_inspector')
- apply the map in Vizard using the bumpmap command (file '_bumpmap')

You can see from the results that none of the two works. In the exported osg the map is barely visible in Vizard, and the one using the Vizard command is black. I assume that the OSG format does not save bump materials, according to this article http://kb.worldviz.com/articles/1393. Is it true?
But why doesn't the command work and I get the black color?
One more think I noticed is the hollow line where the seams are supposed to be. These do not exist in the 3DSMax render, but appear in Vizard in either of the two methods. Why is that?

I also include the original full polygon model as seen in Vizard, and the normal map itself (looks fine to me).

Thank you for your help,
--tokola
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_3ds render.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	576   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_inspector.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	577   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_bumpmap.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	578   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_original.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	579   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_map_image.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	580  

Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Currently exporting a model with normal map is not supported. If you use the bumpmap command you will also need to set the diffuse texture:
Code:
#Apply diffuse texture to unit 1
model.texture(diff,'',1)
#Apply normal map texture to unit 0
model.bumpmap(norm,'',0)
Have you tried that?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Red face Normal maps problem - update

Hi Jeff,

thanks for responding. It seems things were really 'quite' in here lately, and have some other questions pending.

As for the normal maps, I can't say my attempt was too successful. I include examples with two different models (attached images). They both appear black with headlight enabled (is this correct?), but have a red hue when inserting a light in Vizard. The second case also gives me the error:
Code:
** WARNING: Could not generate tangent/binormal data for geometry '03 - Default'
The code I am using is identical in both cases:
Code:
def applyNormalToTank():
        tank=viz.add('models/pump_tank.ive')
	normal=viz.add('models/images/testNormal.jpg')
	diffuse=viz.add('models/images/Roiled Concrete.tga')
	tank.texture(diffuse,'',1)
	tank.bumpmap(normal,'',0)
So the questions are basically why I don't get the right texture but instead get this red color and why the error in the second case? (I assume the headlight problem is the natural behavior?)

Thanks a lot!
--tokola
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_Vizard001.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	582   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_Vizard2.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	583  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Hi Vizard guys.
I have a few problems/questions that haven't been addressed and are more than a few weeks old (the latest being 2/9). I am sorry to say that this is not satisfying support for such a highly commercial project. I know you have a large demand but a couple of days should suffice to respond to most problems. I would appreciate if you could be more responsive, since most people (including myself) are using Vizard for serious development and not just for fun.

Best Regards,
--Panagiotis
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Dear Panagiotis,

Thanks for your note -- Worldviz has a support ticketing system for commercial support, where we target a 24h response rate.

This ticketing system is closed to the outside, i.e. your questions and your project is kept private. this is what most industrial / commercial customers use.

For getting access, you will need a valid Vizard support contract. If you have purchased one, you should have received the login data, otherwise please email support@worldviz.com .

As for this forum support, our support engineers do their best to keep up with support here, but as this is unpaid support, they do this after serving the commercial customers on the ticket based system.

All best,

Matthias
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
WorldViz Team Member

You should avoid using the node.bumpmap command. It is not documented and only exists for backwards compatibility. You will need to use GLSL shaders to make use of normal maps in Vizard.

The following thread contains a Vizard script for performing a parallax/bump effect:
http://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=1145

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: