WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 05-25-2017, 04:43 AM

Which Vizard5 version to use with Oculus Rift DK2?

Hi,

I'm trying to get Vizard 5 to work with Oculus Rift DK2. It sort of works, but I'm getting problems with timing that cause a feeling of nausea. There are a bunch of possible reasons, some hardware related, but I want to start by making sure I'm running the right version of Vizard.

Currently I have Vizard v5.2 installed, and the Oculus SDK is 0.5.0.1. According to the change log webpage for versions of Vizard 5 (http://docs.worldviz.com/vizard/highlights.htm), v5.1 has functionality that 'requires Oculus runtime 0.4.4', while v5.3 has 'support for Oculus Rift 0.8 runtime'. Nothing is said about support for Oculus in v5.2.

I wonder if I should switch to using Vizard v5.3 and Oculus SDK 0.8? If so, where I can download Vizard v5.3? The downloads page (http://www.worldviz.com/virtual-real...are-downloads/) only offers v5.7. Would v5.7 be OK to use? And, of course, the big question: would we have to pay to upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 o5 5.7?!

Sorry if these questions seem very ignorant. I didn't originally install Vizard or Oculus SDK and am trying to pick up where somebody else has left off.

Thanks,
Richard.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:40 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Try connecting to the DK2 in the latest Oculus software. You won't be able to follow the Rift set up but if the headset shows a connection in 'Settings > Devices' then you should be able to connect in the latest version of Vizard 5. See the Oculus page and Getting Started section for more information. Minor version Vizard upgrades are included without charge. From within Vizard go to 'Help > Check for Updates'.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your advice. This clarifies things greatly. As soon as I've finished checking out some hardware issues, which I need to address first*, I'll download the latest Oculus Rift and Vizard software versions as you suggest.

*Updating the graphics card drivers has already helped a lot by resolving a time lag in the headset display when turning one's head; I now need to figure out why the positional tracker isn't being detected, as this can also contribute to nausea.

Richard.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Got the positional tracker working in the end, using a USB 3.0 card that had to be in a PCIe slot that didn't share bandwidth with any other slots, and also the tracker had to be the only device plugged into the USB 3.0 card (see: https://forums.oculus.com/community/...-win-10-gtx970). Between this and the graphics card driver update, I think the nausea problem is solved. I might well update my versions of Vizard and Oculus as well, if other problems arise, but will wait and see...

Tags
oculus rift, oculus runtime, versions, vizard5

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: