WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Precision Position Tracker (PPT)

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Range of Cameras

Hello,

I am having a problem with two PPT-H cameras. I've noticed that one is able to track a range of 27 feet whereas the other is only able to track 14 feet. I've tried positioning the cameras side by side and aimed at the same angle, but one still had a significantly smaller range. I've also tried switching the cables of the two cameras, but the issue still remained. Is there any possible way to fix this?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM
WorldViz Team Member

the range of the PPT always depends on a lot of factors, most importantly the following:

- make sure to control external lighting as well as possible (i.e. the less infrared, the better and further the tracking will work)
- calibrate!
- read thru the docs carefully and adjust your tresholds
- do the 1-point test (this is important, as it might limit your range if this is wrong or not done)
- also, obviously make sure that your marker has good batteries or (if rechargable) is fully charged
- if it's a non-rechargable marker (i.e. one that contains normal batteries), make sure you are using a bright marker (the ones with the red dot) for large tracking distances
- in case you replace the Duracell batteries, which the markers are delivered with, with rechargabe ones, please make sure to use rechargable AAA batteries which produce 1.5V, and not such that produce 1.2V.

with PPT-H you should be able to track up to 40 to 60 feet from the cameras under normal circumstances (with controlled lighting), so if your range is as low as you describe, then most likely something is wrong with your settings.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 AM

Unfortunately, I've tried all of the above and the camera still has half the range of the others. Our room is only about 30 feet long, so the true range of the other cameras is unknown, but that one camera definitely has a problem. We're going to ship it to WorldViz so they can have a look. Thanks for your help!

Vic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: