WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Bluetooth speaker crashes Vizard?

We have successfully connected to a Wiimote via Bluetooth (on Windows XP), and we wanted to add a wireless speaker to our setup. We bought a Sony Ericsson MBS-100 speaker (looks like an alien egg. eek.) and a new Bluetooth dongle (TrendNet TBW-106UB) that supports the necessary profile for the speaker, installed IVT BlueSoleil which contains the drivers for the dongle, and connected to our two devices. That worked fine, but then Vizard crashed when we tried to run our program.

After various troubleshooting steps, we uninstalled BlueSoleil, which fixes the issue insofar as Vizard stops crashing. But if we pair the speaker using the built-in Bluetooth Devices utility, Vizard will crash anyway.

Despite all of this, we have had no problems with the Wiimote.

We are moving the speaker all over the lab for sound experiments, so having a wireless speaker is really optimal. Has anyone else had Bluetooth issues, or found a good wireless speaker solution?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
WorldViz Team Member

In another thread you mentioned using code to output sound to two different hardware devices.

http://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=2075

Are you doing something like this in your code when it crashes or does it crash with any Vizard script?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 PM

No, we hadn't gotten so far as to switch between devices yet. We were going to try just outputting to the wireless speaker first, to iron out any bugs. I am not certain if it crashes with any Vizard script--I have only tried ones that have sound included--but when I go into the lab tomorrow, I will see if a simple script will run when the speaker is paired with the computer.

It seems like it crashes at the point where the DirectX sound engine is loaded or initialized or what-have-you, and the error report indicates that it is a kernel32 issue, so I am wondering if there is a weird conflict. (I ran a system diagnostic, and all our equipment checks out.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: