WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM

Best way to import map data from 3ds Max

I want to to position lots of different objects in my world.... This is mainly because I want shiny textures on certain objects and shadows being cast from one object to another (so I can't import them in as a single VRML object)

What is the best way to get different objects in and position them properly in a world. I was thinking perhaps I could simply make the objects in 3ds max then export single objects (maintaining the same origin) and then import them all to vizard.

This is okay for static objects, but if I want to do things with the object it will be difficult having this weird local coordinate system. Is there a good way to position objects in a world in 3ds max then import the locations to vizard.

an easy (but laborious) solution is simply to get the world coordinates of the object w/in 3ds max in a map then manually apply translate in vizard. I don't really want to do this though.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Lightbulb Suggestions....

Hi There,

I'm not certain what are you trying to do here. Perhaps, I could give some hints. I would recommend you to use .OSG format and later grab the sub-components by using .getchild function. For static object, these should be fine. This is how I do static objects in my scenes.

However, for dynamic object, this is not a common practice. We always put the dynamic object in as a separate file from the static ones. And only 1 dynamic object per file.

I'm using blender (mostly) and Max at the same time, these steps outline below works for blender, however, you should be able to replicate the method in MAX;

0. Finalise the scene, without further moving the objects around.
1. put the shiny object in a different layer without changing the object coordinate location.
2. put the dull-looking object in a separate layer without changing the object coordinate location.
3. separate the dynamic object from the static ones, and export them out one layer at a time.
4. you might end up with... let's say 4 files.. MarsTerrains.OSG (dull-looking object), MarsLifeChambers.OSG (shiny metal looking), MarsRover.OSG (dynamic, moving) and MarsLander.OSG (dynamic, moving)
5. If you need to access objects within these .OSG(s), use .getchild() function.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Iwan
PhD candidate
Macq. Uni Sydney - Australia

[further note] In our departments, some people are relying heavily on VRML format because lots of papers say that this format is good for VR purpose. From my experience, this has been somewhat... a little curse. Vizard is built on OpenSceneGraph rendering engine, therefore, sticking with it's native mesh format .OSG would be the best option. For Characters animation, please use CAL3D, more efficient.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. If we place all the objects in the map then export them while maintaining position in 3ds max the exporter still exports relative to the global coordinate system. Now when I translate my human it will move relative to the maps coordinate system rather than it's own.

-Salik
Old 09-17-2007, 03:15 PM

I would export the avatar as separate file, besides the avatars are meant to be in cal3D format. Breaking down items would make things simpler for your artists

All the best in your project.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Cal3D from Max

I am trying to export bipod in 3dsmax to cal3d (file is attached with this post), but I am unable to export it probably.
any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: zip MyBiped.zip (21.0 KB, 1309 views)
Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 AM

Hi,

Currently, I work on Linux at home, and I have no access to 3DSmax. Our 3DSMax at uni is only version 5 or 6, what version is your 3DS Max?
I'll try next week when I get back to the Lab.

Regards,
k_iwan
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 AM

Thanks for your reply, My max in 2010
Thanks
Moh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: