WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 01:54 AM

Lightmap VRAY

Hello

I have read the Lightmap tutorial on the wiki, and it worked for creating lightmaps for vizard using 3dsmax scanline render setting.

I have created a scene in 3dsmax that uses vray to produce the lighting. I was wondering how I go about baking lightmap using vray?

When I follow the wiki lightmap tutorial, max crashes! Both 32 and 64 bit version.

When I tried to render a lightmap using VrayLightingMap element in the baking dropdown menu. (See screenshot)
It did render successfully, but it appeared to render something that resembles a complete map! (See screenshot)
When I created a standard material, with a diffuse and lightmap (both rendered using steps above) it created a model with a dark texture that wasn't the same when I rendered in viewport. (I have also attached this OSGB file)

Is there a process that was followed to render lightmap in vray for the dojo/piazza in Viz4?

Thanks!
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Object132VRayLightingMap.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	448   Click image for larger version

Name:	bake_settings.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	449  
Attached Files
File Type: zip wall.zip (54.2 KB, 1065 views)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi davidrichens,

Baking VRayLightmaps is incompatable with Standard materials, and will produce something like a CompleteMap as you said. Ideally you should only be using VRayMtl materials.

If that would be too time consuming, the quick and dirty way is to to go to Render Settings, VRay Tab, VRay Global Switches rollout, then add a 50% gray VRayMtl in the material override slot. After that, click on exclude and exclude any transparent objects from override. This will keep windows and similar objects from going opaque during the bake.

Any object affected by the override will be able to produce proper light maps. The main drawback of this method is that it reduces the accuracy of the GI solution by removing any variation that comes from surface color. EG. light bounced off a bright red wall would become red and add a slight red tint to any nearby surfaces.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Hi Veleno,

I have had some success in baking a lightmap texture using your "quick and dirty" technique.
But I would like to know the process on how to lightbake a Vray lit & textured scene I have made properly.

The process I am using employing is:
  1. Create a VrayMtl for an object, apply it to a model
  2. Open render to texture dialogue on the selected model
  3. In the output roll-out, I am using VrayLightingMap with no Target Map Slot
  4. Under the Baked Material Settings, I am using "Render to Files Only"
  5. The resulting bake, I am then creating a new material and applying the diffuse texture to the diffuse slot, and the Vray lightbaked texture to the Self-Illumination slot.

Thanks,
David
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 AM

Hi Veleno,

I am still pushing forward with baking vray light maps for vizard.
After looking at the several OSGB examples in the vizard4 resource directory I have started experimenting with different light maps that vray has to offer.

VRayRawTotalLightingMap is the one I am currently looking at.

Some of them offer an option in the "Select Element Unique Settings" box of the Render to texture, called "Apply color mapping".

Would you have this on or off for a vray bake?

Thank you,
David

Tags
lightbaking, vray

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: