WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM

Four-wall CAVE using two PCs

We've trying to add a second computer to our CAVE and are running into problems with configuring the windows for the cave walls. Each computer has two gfx cards, with each card driving one wall. How do I specify that a window only get created on the client system? I've tried doing this:

Code:
	viz.cluster.pushMask(viz.CLIENT1)
	window4 = viz.addWindow(pos=(0,0.5),size=(1.0,0.5))
	window4.fov(72.0,1.25)
	window4.clearcolor(GD_vars.CLEAR_COLOR)
	window4.stereo(viz.QUAD_BUFFER)
	viz.cluster.popMask()
	BottomWall = vizcave.Wall(upperLeft=(-scr_hw,0,5*0.3048),
				  upperRight=(scr_hw,0,5*0.3048),
				  lowerLeft=(-scr_hw,0,-3*0.3048),
				  lowerRight=(scr_hw,0,-3*0.3048),
				  name='BottomWall' )
	cave.addWall(BottomWall,window=window4, mask=viz.CLIENT1)
	window4.visible(GD_vars.CAVE_FLOOR)
but am getting errors like this when I run the code:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 11, in ?
  File "abrams_interior_don.py", line 43, in ?
    import GD_Displays
  File "Y:\Users\tidrow\devel\CAVE\GD_python\GD_Displays.py", line 51, in ?
    window4.setPosition(0,5)
  File "C:\Program Files\WorldViz\Vizard30/python\viz.py", line 3457, in setPosition
    _ipcSend(_VIZ_WINDOWPOS,self.id,mode,'',left,top,0.0,0.0)
TypeError: param1 must be an int
How should I set up two subwindows on both the master and client machine?

Don
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Hmm... Not sure if this is the problem, but the traceback seems to be pointing to a line ( window4.setPosition(0,5) ) that is not in your posted code. Have you tried wrapping that line in viz.cluster.pushMask(viz.CLIENT1) and viz.cluster.popMask()?

Me thinks you are getting this error on the master because you did not create a window4 there due to your pushMask commands. Seems the Python variable is valid on the master, but the window does not exist in the engine, and self.id, aka param1, is probably None/NULL.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Don,

Just curious, were you able to get this to work? How is performance with multiple screens per system with big models?

Ray
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualray View Post
Don,

Just curious, were you able to get this to work? How is performance with multiple screens per system with big models?

Ray
Not yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to open multiple windows on two clustered computers. I'm setting up a simple script that just does the cave walls & windows without all the extra crap that the full app does - hopefully then I can get it working, or at least be able to post a simple script for others to critique.

Don
Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsomebeast View Post
Hmm... Not sure if this is the problem, but the traceback seems to be pointing to a line ( window4.setPosition(0,5) ) that is not in your posted code. Have you tried wrapping that line in viz.cluster.pushMask(viz.CLIENT1) and viz.cluster.popMask()?

Me thinks you are getting this error on the master because you did not create a window4 there due to your pushMask commands. Seems the Python variable is valid on the master, but the window does not exist in the engine, and self.id, aka param1, is probably None/NULL.
I was trying out a couple of different ways of setting up the windows, and they were all failing with errors similar to what I posted. I want windows 1 and 2 created on the master (for two of the CAVE walls) and windows 3 & 4 created only on client1. Is there perhaps some other way to set things up so that the master is aware of them but they only get rendered on the client?

Also I've seen some references to a 'vizcore.cfg' file, should I add this file and include a line like this:
viz.cluster.master.clients = ['master', 'client']

Or is this taken care of by the Vizard Cluster Master and Client apps?

The docs I've seen so far aren't especially clear on how to open multiple windows on the client machines, if somebody could paste a link to docs that explain it better I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
WorldViz Team Member

You don't need to specify the cfg options if you are using the cluster master app.

Regarding your original problem, Gladsomebeast is correct. You cannot use the push/popMask commands around viz.add commands. The way to deal with this is to add the object to all computers and use the mask to modify the settings for each client. If I understand your specific scenario correctly, you have the master and one client in your cluster, and each will display 2 windows? If this is the case, then here is some pseudo-code that should set this up:
Code:
#Need to initialize window with viz.QUAD_BUFFER flag
viz.go(viz.QUAD_BUFFER)

#Resize main window to take up left half of screen
window1 = viz.MainWindow
window1.setSize(0.5,1.0)

#Create window to take up right half of screen
window2 = viz.addWindow(pos=(0.5,1.0),size=(0.5,1.0))
window2.stereo(viz.QUAD_BUFFER)

#Create 4 walls
wall1 = vizcave.Wall(...)
wall2 = vizcave.Wall(...)
wall3 = vizcave.Wall(...)
wall4 = vizcave.Wall(...)

#Add walls to cave
cave.addWall(wall1,window=window1,mask=viz.MASTER)
cave.addWall(wall2,window=window2,mask=viz.MASTER)
cave.addWall(wall3,window=window1,mask=viz.CLIENT)
cave.addWall(wall4,window=window2,mask=viz.CLIENT)
The vizcave module will handle updating the view frustum for each window on each client, assuming you use the cave.setTracker command.

In the code you posted above, you were using the window.fov command. Keep in mind that the vizcave module will update the projection matrix of the window every frame based on the position of the tracker. So the value you specified will be overwritten.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: