WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 09-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Anti-aliasing

Hi,

I am having some aliasing problems. All I'm doing is animating a model of a car coming towards the viewer. When the car is pretty far away, the aliasing is terrible. The car flickers a lot. I looked on another thread on this forum that suggested changing the graphics card settings, but there was no noticeable difference in my animation when I did this. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Attached is my model.

Thanks so much!

Elizabeth
Attached Files
File Type: zip Car.zip (482.4 KB, 1312 views)
Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 PM

could you post screenshots? i 'm not sure how you car flickers.
thank you.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Screenshots

1. Attached are some screenshots that may help illustrate the flickering that I'm talking about. The headlights are especially bad, but the sides of the car wiggle /flicker too. The aliasing is the worse when the car is far away.
2. Is there any sort of interface that allows you to set graphics settings on an NVIDIA card (to help get rid of the anti-aliasing)?
3. Is there a way to set the color of a pixel (change its lighting settings, etc.)?
Attached Files
File Type: zip ScreenShots.zip (236.4 KB, 1224 views)
Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Do the headlights of the car contain a lot of polygons that overlap each other? It seems like you are experiencing Z-fighting artifacts, which occur when polygons are closely overlapped.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM

I don't think it's a polygon problem. That wouldn't explain the sides of the car flickering. Also, I get similar effects when I try to animate the mini cooper model that's included with Vizard.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:35 AM

Video

I have a video that shows you my problems. If you want to e-mail me at elizabethseward@yahoo.com, I'll send it to you.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
WorldViz Team Member

I looked at your video and the flickering seems like normal behaviour. When rendering moving objects that are far away, you will usually notice flickering because the graphics card has a finite amount of pixels to fit all the geometry onto. Enabling anti-aliasing might help a little. Another method is to create an image of the car and render the image when the car is far away, instead of the actual polygons. However, this method is somewhat difficult because you need to create a smooth transition between rendering the image and the polygons.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks for your responses. I've been playing with the image/polygon transition and gotten resonsable results. I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: