WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Exaggerated Motions

I'm trying to create a VR simulation in which the user's hand motions (tracked by a ppt light) are exaggerated in some way that is more complicated than simply scaling the motion. For example, the user's hand could seem elastic, allowing her to stretch her arm towards a target. I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and could offer any advice.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what kind of exaggeration you want. You can create points which have some sort of gravity and will pull the hand towards them with a force depending on the distance. This might be what you are looking fore. I have a sample script which demonstrates a simple version of this. Let me know if you would like it
Old 11-23-2005, 12:23 AM

If you could please send the example script to bents@stanford.edu it would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben
Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Simulating a spring-dashpot system sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Doing so with a tracked PPT light like you suggest should be easy to accomplish. You can no doubt google and find lots of examples and sample equations. You should watch out for instabilities and osciallations which will happen if you don't balance the spring and dashpot constants correctly.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:22 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

I've attached the sample script to this post. The white ball represensts the real world location. The red ball represents the exaggerated location of the white ball. The green balls represent the objects that pull the red ball with a certain weight.

As tobin already mentioned, you will have to do some extra work to get rid of oscillations and other artifacts. This is just a basic version that shows the general concept.
Attached Files
File Type: zip testscalemovement.zip (693 Bytes, 858 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: