WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 06-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Wink Exporting .max to .IVE - funky textures

Hello,

I'm not very experienced with 3d modeling, so please bear with me.

I can't seem to get a .IVE export to keep the same textures it had in .max after a render.

Here is the complete render in 3ds Max:

Here are my export settings:

And here is what the model looks like in Vizard:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	render.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	321  
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Could it be an issue with the Texture State->Use Original Texture Files checkbox. The exported file may be looking for the tiff texture files but can't find them cuz their in another directory. If you export to .ive format this may not be the problem because the texture files are included in the .ive file.

Also, verify that you Max materials are Standard type materials.

The resources section of my 3D modeling article has some useful links about the exporter:
http://vizworkshop.com/articles/mode...or_vizard.html

Also be sure to check out this video:
http://kb.worldviz.com/articles/1054
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsomebeast View Post
Could it be an issue with the Texture State->Use Original Texture Files checkbox. The exported file may be looking for the tiff texture files but can't find them cuz their in another directory. If you export to .ive format this may not be the problem because the texture files are included in the .ive file.

Also, verify that you Max materials are Standard type materials.

The resources section of my 3D modeling article has some useful links about the exporter:
http://vizworkshop.com/articles/mode...or_vizard.html

Also be sure to check out this video:
http://kb.worldviz.com/articles/1054
Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking a look. What exactly do you mean by 'standard type materials'? This model appears to be rendered in VRay, as well as the materials (?). Would that make the materials not export correctly?

I've tried putting the image files in the same directory, but no luck there either.

Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Max has may kinds of material types, some only for use with Max's off-line renderers. Press the "m" key in Max to bring up the Materials Editor. Check that the material types are standard or are composite types with standard materials underneath.

Also, try exporting the model to .ive and with the "Use Original Texture Files" checkbox un-checked.

Last edited by Gladsomebeast; 06-15-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Max has may kinds of material types, some only for use with Max's off-line renderers. Press the "m" key in Max to bring up the Materials Editor. Check that the material types are standard or are composite types with standard materials underneath.

Also, try exporting the model to .ive and with the "Use Original Texture Files" checkbox un-checked.
Hi Paul,
Here's a shot of the materials screen that I get:

How can I tell if the material types are standard or composite, with standard materials underneath?

Yeah, I have tried with the 'original texture files' checkbox both checked and unchecked. No luck.

Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM

The material type is the button next to the drop down menu. It says multi/sub-object. I should have said multi/sub-object when I said composite in my last post.

The type of the materials in the list are what matter. Looks like they are of type VRayMtl, which only works with Max's off-line renderer. They will not export to OSG format. I think this model was not created with real-time exporting/rendering in mind. The density of the chair mesh in your last screen shot also suggests this model was only intended for off-line rendering.

Don't know if you need this kitchen scene, but I've exported this free kitchen model from TurboSquid successfully:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...kitchen/363010
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The material type is the button next to the drop down menu. It says multi/sub-object. I should have said multi/sub-object when I said composite in my last post.

The type of the materials in the list are what matter. Looks like they are of type VRayMtl, which only works with Max's off-line renderer. They will not export to OSG format. I think this model was not created with real-time exporting/rendering in mind. The density of the chair mesh in your last screen shot also suggests this model was only intended for off-line rendering.

Don't know if you need this kitchen scene, but I've exported this free kitchen model from TurboSquid successfully:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...kitchen/363010
That makes sense. Does that mean just those materials could not be used with Vizard, or could I possibly assign standard materials and export from there?

I did get the kitchen model that you linked working successfully, and we may end up using that one instead.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Right, can't export non-standard material types to OSG format.

As you probably found out by now, its not trivial to convert material types. Just assigning the material type to standard loses all of the material's settings. Maybe there is a smarter way I'm not aware of. The Veleno forum user would know.