WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Error exporting mesh

I'm trying to export a mesh file (CMF) from one of the Complete Characters MAX source file (female). At the second step (bone assignment) I can't get passed this, receiving a message error: Invalida material, please set a material on the node.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm getting: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/178438/cal3d_error.png

My objective is to save every morph from the face expression and use it in vizard as possible face morphs.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM

You seem to have bones selected and a mesh while exporting. You can't select both you need to first export the skeleton only and then the mesh and/or material/texures.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 AM

That's really not the case. Please see this screencast I just made to show you my process, its really quick. I can't seem to get through this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKecUPHfCK8
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM

You might need to assign a texture to your mesh, so if you want to keep it blue just make a one pixel blue texture and apply it to the mesh. Is it really a mesh ? because it also looks very like a default 3dsmax bone.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabioped View Post
Invalid material, please set a material on the node.
Hi Fabioped.

This happens because you are attempting to export a mesh (in this case, the bone geometry) that doesn't have a material assigned. If the bones are not intended to be visible in the exported mesh, you shouldn't be selecting them when exporting the head.

If the bones are intended to be visible, duplicate the bone meshes (using snapshot), skin them to the actual skeleton, assign a material, and export as CMF.

As for morph targets,
Quote:
The process for exporting morph targets is mostly the same as for any other mesh exported in Cal3d format, and follows the usual rules that exist for morph targets in most engines.

Starting with avatar that loads correctly in Vizard with a matching Max file...
- Set the skeleton to its skin pose.
- Make a duplicate of the mesh you want the morph target for, in this case the head. The duplicate does not need to be skinned since it will be used in a Morpher modifier.
- Adjust the duplicate to the new shape. The Push modifier works well for general testing purposes. Nothing should be done that would affect the vertex order, e.g. no addition or removal of vertices, edges, or faces.
- On the original skinned version of the mesh, add a Morpher modifier. This can be either above or below the Skin modifier.
- Add the modified duplicate to the Morpher modifier then adjust the spinner, typically to 100%.
- After the Morpher modifier is in place, you do not need to keep the modified mesh as a separate object.

From here, we export the morphed head.
- Select the skinned Head mesh. It should now look like whatever you want the morph target to be.
- Press the File/Icon button, and click Export. (oddly, not Export Selected)
- Select Cal3d Mesh File as the export type, and pick a name. The typical convention is [meshname + morph name + .CMF].
- In the skeleton page of the dialog, navigate to the skeleton used by the exported file.
- You can use the defaults on the other pages.
- When the export finishes, edit the cfg, adding the morph= line after the mesh= line that the morph is for.

Eg.:
mesh = mesh\head.CMF
morph = mesh\head_morphSmile.CMF
morph = mesh\head_morphFrown.CMF

mesh = mesh\body.CMF
morph = mesh\body_morphObese.CMF
morph = mesh\body_morphThin.CMF

At this point, as long as the correct max file and correct CSF skeleton was used, the morph target should work correctly.
For a quick way to test the model and morph targets, drag a .CFG onto the attached avatar viewer.
The avatar viewer mentioned above can be found here. The functionality of the viewer is currently in the process of being integrated with Inspector.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: