WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 05-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Changing parent without changing absolute global position?

Hi,

I'm trying to set an object's parent without changing its global absolute position.

Whenever I set the object's parent, its position resets to [0, 0, 0] on its parent's relative coordinate system (its position becomes the same as its parents position).

How do I get around this? I have tried many things, such as finding the object's position on the absolute global coordinate system, setting the object's parent, and then setting the object's position back to the one I found earlier. This doesn't seem to work.

Another seemingly easy way to do this would be to find the object's position relative to its soon-to-be parent's position, but I can't do this because they are not in the same hierarchy—I have to subtract both positions on the absolute global coordinate system. Then, of course, I set the object's parent and move it back to the correct position that I just went through the work of finding.

All of these ways don't work.

How do I set and object's parent without changing it's global position?

Last edited by The SundanceKid; 05-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Getting the global position before re-parenting and restoring it after should work. Can you post the code you are using?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshizzo View Post
Getting the global position before re-parenting and restoring it after should work. Can you post the code you are using?
I have done this and it restores the position correctly, but it appears that the object is no longer parented to the correct one anymore. After restoring the position it appears that the object is parented to the world, rather than the object I want it to be parented to.

I'm sorry, but I am not allowed to post any of the code.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by The SundanceKid; 05-23-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I forgot to include a quote of what farshizzo posted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: