WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM

Custom head with 3dmenow or facegen & peoplemaker

Hi all,

I would like to create a custom virtual head based on a front picture and a profile picture. I've tried to use 3dmenow for this, but as soon as I start the program, the example.now file results in a strange 3D preview. Looks like the photos are not correctly applied to the 3D model (see attachment). The same happens when I try to model a 3D head of my own head based on pictures. Somebody knows how to fix this problem?

I've also tried to use facegen to create a 3D model of my own face, but when I import the result of facegen and auto-scale the head (as described in the peoplemaker manual), it becomes tiny and I have to zoom in a lot to be able to see it. Furthermore, navigation becomes near impossible at these scales. The navigation mode does not pivot around with the head as the centerpoint, but around some other (arbitrary?) point. When I do zoom in at the correct level and manage to navigate such that I can see the head, next I need to compute the neck vertices and use the vertex select mode. When I click the compute the neck vertices, my head has a lot of green dots (selected I guess). When I click vertex select mode, I can drag what I want, but it does not change the selection of vertices. Any help with how to solve these problems I'm having with 3dmenow/facegen and peoplemaker are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Example 3dmenow weird 3d preview.JPG
Views:	1670
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	554  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM

OK, after playing around with peoplemaker, I managed to select the correct neckvertices and export a correct .vzf file. Two problems left:
- how to make the head of the original avatar invisble (the code from the peoplemaker help file does not work)
- if I put the custom head on the avatar, my head has a slight offset in it's pitch. Do I have to offset the neckbone to correct for that, or is there a more elegant way to fix this?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Do you have the CompleteCharacters HD? If so, we have some updated files to support the head swapping. Please contact support@worldviz.com for that.

Please attach an image that shows the offset in pitch. Is the head in PeopleMaker showing up with that pitch as well?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM

I'm going to use the regular Complete Character set, but for now I've use the male from the Complete Character set that comes with Vizard. The offset is already there in peoplemaker (after I've exported from facegen). The offset is about 20 degrees in pitch. If I change the pitch of the neckbone bij 20, I can make my face look straight ahead (which it should do in it's starting position). As you can see from the screenshots, my head looks about 20 degrees upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My face in peoplemaker.JPG
Views:	1438
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	555   Click image for larger version

Name:	My face in Vizard front.JPG
Views:	1497
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	556   Click image for larger version

Name:	My face in Vizard profile.JPG
Views:	1454
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	557  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
WorldViz Team Member

It's not possible to make that adjustment in Peoplemaker. If you're not able to change the way the model is exported try and adjust the head in Vizard every frame:
Code:
vizact.onupdate(viz.PRIORITY_LINKS+1,morphing_face.setEuler,0,20,0,viz.REL_LOCAL)
Do you see any problem with the neck when you use this?

Tags
3dmenow, custom head, facegen, peoplemaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: