WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM

Curved mirrors?

Hello Everybody

I am rather new to Virtual Reality, but I was able to make my first steps with Vizard, which I am now testing for our purposes.
One thing I could not manage until now, or find something in this forum about is the modeling of curved mirrors.

Can anyone give me a hint how to do it?

Thanks in Advance

Sandro
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Do you need the mirror to have dynamic real-time reflections or just a static reflection map? If you need a static reflection map, then have a look at the example script in examples\nodes\env_mapping.py. This applies a static texture to a curved model surface which gives it a reflective look.

If you need dynamic real-time reflections, then it will take a little more work. Let me know if this is the case and I might be able to provide a sample script for you.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:24 AM

Thank you for your answer

Unfortunately I need dynamic real-time reflection.
We need this for checking the field of view through a rearviewmirror, and it should be physical correct.
One possible solution would be to divide the curved mirror in a matrix of smaller, plane mirrors (each mirror with the code I found in this forum for plane mirror objects).
But I think one would need a lot of small mirrors to get a realistic picture.

Sandro
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 AM

Hi
I have the same problem. I would like to create a curved-projection-plan because I have a curved Screen.
I have test the idea of splitting the MainWindow in n-number of sub-windows (30-40 are enough). I calculate new lower-/upperLeft and lower-/upperRight edges and calculate the new frustum for each subwindow all based on the radius of my cylinder or rather my curved-screen.

It looks fine but if I use vizinfo the menu is shown in each subwindow also there is a problem with reflective surface because the effect is different in each subwindow.

Is a shader solution available or can somebody helps me to create a shader which split my mainWindow in n subWindows with different projectionplans so that I get an image that is based on a approximated curved projection plan (cylinder).

Thanks, Andy
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM

I'm interested too, in use dynamic real-time reflection on curves.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: