WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 07-13-2005, 04:40 PM

Recommended graphics card?

Hi there,

Vizard often crashes for me when I try and run the navigable window (by hitting F5). It does so on average once every three or so runnings.

After consultation with a friend, we believe the problem may be my feeble graphics card (32MB).

Can anyone recommend a decent graphics card in the 128 - 256 MB range that they have used with Vizard and can vouch for its utility?

I was running Vizard 2.51c but switched to 2.17 in a (failed) attempt to stop the crashing.

My machine is running:

Windows XP, SP2
AMD Athlon 2400+, 2.01GHz
480 MB of RAM

Any help would be appreciated, as my thesis work depends on my getting this up and running!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
WorldViz Team Member

You absolutely can't go wrong with an nVidia graphics card. Here's a pretty good one for $29 that'll give you more than acceptable performance:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...570&CatId=1087

Alternatively, newer ATI hardware with recent drivers is also a strong alternative.

If you would like, you may send your world to support@worldviz.com and we'll test it with nVidia hardware and ensure that this resolves your crashing problem. BTW, what kind of crash do you experience?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM

The problem I experience, which doesn't happen all the time, is that when I am editing my script and hit F5 to run it, the window in which you normally navigate around in becomes larger than usual, completely white, with the top information bar off the top of the screen, and unresponsive. Sometimes it works fine initially and crashes when I kill the window.

After I kill the window it says 'winviz.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

If it's any use to you, the Error Report says:

Code: 0xc0000005
Flags: 0x00000000
Address: 0x000000006957ff22

But thanks for the nVidia reccie. I've never bought a video card before so it's good to get some expert advice!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Oh yeah, and after the window crashes, Vizard itself becomes unresponsive and has to be killed too.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 PM

Oh and the script is simply the myroom_interactive.py one from the getting started tutorial. I really don't think it's the script because

a) I've tried many variations, all of which crash

b) If there was such a major problem with the most basic tutorial I'm sure it would have been picked up already.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: