WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2003, 08:15 AM

collision detection?

Hi,

Is it possible to do real time collision detection with Vizard? I'd like to use it for experiments in which people need to navigate complex spaces without being able to pass through walls. Are there any examples of how to do this kind of thing in your demos?
Old 06-17-2003, 11:51 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi Colin,

The current version of Vizard does not have built-in collision detection. You can still do simple collision detection by creating a timer which checks the viewers head position and makes sure it is inside a predefined area. The Art Gallery demo uses this method.

If you have a complex scene then you might want to wait for the next version of Vizard which will be released in late July or early August. The next version will have built-in collision detection which will work with any imported geometry object. We have already tested it out with complex Quake 3 levels and we were able to navigate throughout the level with proper collision detection. This new collision detection can be activated with one line of code, which will save you a lot of time in this case.

-- Farshid
Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to use quake III with Vizard. Can someone give me some clue as to how to do this?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
WorldViz Team Member

If you have a valid Quake3 bsp model you should be able to add it to your environment like any other model. What exactly is the problem? Are you getting an error message?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Well basically what we're trying to do is use the quake game, mod it, and use the HMD to simulate the individual actually being in the game. The scenario would be that an individual is part of a team that is playing capture the flag against another team. We have a valid copy of quake three. The only problem is that we can't get the HMD (nVisor SX) and intersense cube2 to track the movement of the person while he/she is playing the game. As I mentioned earlier, I've never worked with a game like this so I have no clue how to implement the world. Right now we're trying to mod the game but if there is a way to implement it using Vizard I think that would work too. Where should I start.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
WorldViz Team Member

The latest intersense drivers have an option to use the intersense to control the mouse. This should let you control the character in Quake. To use the HMD, you will probably need to use nVidia Stereo Drivers, since the Quake game does not handle stereo by itself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: