WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 10-02-2019, 03:35 AM

Sending models over network

Hi,

I have an experiment that I am running with a HMD and Backpack PC. I'd like to be able to control and monitor certain aspects of this experiment from a separate machine.

I'm able to synchronise viewpoints and send messages between the Backpack PC and the controller PC, but I am stuck at how to copy objects (specifically, shapes) from the Backpack PC scene to the controller scene (or vis-versa). The object does not represent the full properties of the shape (for instance, getPosition() and getBoundingBox() are all 0's), and I cannot make the object appear in the scene on the controller machine.

I could manually extract the properties of the shape from the Backpack PC vizard instance, send them over and re-create them, but it would be far more convenient to be able to send them over the network.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 PM
WorldViz Team Member

If you're adding objects at run time on one machine and want to copy those objects to another networked machine, you will need to pass data that describes the object (shape type, position, orientation etc.) and recreate it there. I don't think you'll be able to send the node3D object directly. If you have an Enterprise license and are running on a local network, you could use collaboration instead.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
If you're adding objects at run time on one machine and want to copy those objects to another networked machine, you will need to pass data that describes the object (shape type, position, orientation etc.) and recreate it there. I don't think you'll be able to send the node3D object directly. If you have an Enterprise license and are running on a local network, you could use collaboration instead.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer. It would be really handy if there was a way of sending over node3D objects; but I've resorted to the shape/position/orientation description approach instead which is working well (and probably saves some bandwidth!).

Thanks,
Joe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: