WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 01-21-2021, 06:45 PM

Point light bleeding through divider

I was hoping to get support on point light/spot light. Without using a TexQuad, there's no real way for me to constrain a point light to have a high focus on a small area of space (due to its omnidirectionality).
In the pictures below, shown is a small cylinder linked to a point light source. Turned on, the light bleeds through the divider running through the box and onto the red car. How do I prevent this?

https://i.imgur.com/2bT5K36.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0xECFyN.jpg

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2021, 03:49 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi Hanna,

Would it work if you used some geometry (like a wall) and then set it's alpha value to 0 (so that it's not visible)? Is what you're looking for to keep the spread of the light to a fixed space, but without having to add geometry to do that?
Old 02-02-2021, 11:39 AM

Hi Sado,

The latter is exactly what I'm looking for (a non-geometric way to constrain point light).

With that said, I've use geometry to artificially constrain the light, but I get quite a discrete cut-off, and thus lose the natural gradient of point light.

As for attempting to avoid using geometry to constrain point light (by adjusting for intensity, spread, attenuation, position, or euler), what I get is an all-or-none situation. It seems as though none of the functions enable to fine-tune the gradient of point light.

I hope this makes sense!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:36 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi Hanna,

I had messaged a few of my colleagues to see if they have any suggestions. The only thing I can immediately think of is to try reducing the alpha value of the geometry to 0, but I'll let you know what they say.

Best,
Sado
Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 AM

Hi Sado!

So I ended up creating a render node and texture for a camera I displaced away from view. The camera captured a light source and projected this remote light onto a smaller texquad I glued to the floor of the placeholder in view.

This workaround maintained the light gradient and prevented spillage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: