WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 AM

Using 5DT plug-in with the data coming through network...

Dear all,

I hope you are well today and I hope you can help me!

I have the 5DT data gloves connected to one computer and I need to send the glove data through the network to another computer. I have actually achieved it doing some C programming. However, I would like to use Vizard plug-in at the receiver side in order to animate the avatar's hand. I have gone through the tutorial and examples on the net and I have seen that the port of the data glove needs to be defined on top of the Vizard file and then the sensor fetches the data accordingly. In my case, I fetch the data from the network already and I would like to feed it to this sensor object somehow. Is this possible at all??

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

Kind regards
Mine
Old 05-18-2009, 05:17 PM

The 5DT plugin expects the glove to be connected to a local serial port. The port variable specifies the serial port COM number. So using the 5DT plugin is not going to work.

What you can do is grab the joint rotations off the network and apply it to the hand bones yourself. Check out Vizards hand.py file for how Vizard uses 5DT data to animate the hand.

If you want, you can use the hand.py file's sensor framework for creating your network driven hand. To do this, it looks like you will want to create a class derived from the InputSensor class. If you make your InputSensor classes getData method return a 15 element list in the same format as the 5DT plugin, then you can reuse the _5DTRenderer class.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: