WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 AM

Physics

Hey Guys,

I am having some serious trouble with physics application in my virtual world. Things are just not running as smoothly as I'd like/NEED them to be, largely due to my complex geometry. The physics shapes do not fit my geometry and I get intersections that I just cannot have, the larger my models get the more taxing it is to attempt accurately modelling physics.

It is getting to the point where I think Vizard just is not going to work for me at all, but I don't want to rule it out just yet.

Does anyone have any advice or tips of improving physics? Is it possible to use open source software to develop the physics and then bring it in to vizard?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
WorldViz Team Member

If you don't need dynamic forces to be applied to some objects then you could try using collideMesh on those for more accurate intersections.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Lower the stepsize. Also, a note on importing physics.

Note that you can also tweak a few parameters of the physics engine. For example, you can reduce the stepSize of the physics engine to simulate in temporal steps that are smaller than the refresh rate.

See the last section here, "Tweaking."
http://docs.worldviz.com/vizard/Viza...ics_basics.htm

Under the hood, Vizard is running the "ODE" physics engine. If you wanted to, you could import your own physics engine, but it's a bit of work. I've done it. If you don't need something that is close to an idealized physical model, ODE should be sufficient.

Note that ODE's calculation of bounce dynamics can be more accurate than Vizard allows, but there are a few parameters of ODE that Vizard doesn't give you access to. This is a separate issue than collision detection.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by performlabrit View Post

Under the hood, Vizard is running the "ODE" physics engine. If you wanted to, you could import your own physics engine, but it's a bit of work. I've done it. If you don't need something that is close to an idealized physical model, ODE should be sufficient.
Hi performlabrit,

this sounds really interesting to me. I am trying to implement an interception task in Vizard and would like to have an idealized physical model without air resistance or Magnus effect forces.
Do you think this can be done using the ODE provided by Vizard or would I need to import a different engine?

Best,
DS
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 AM

Interception? Of a thrown / launched ball, or something moving along the ground plane? and, I've very sorry not to have responded sooner. I only just saw this.

Last edited by performlabrit; 06-07-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: