WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 08-16-2006, 03:16 AM

UnrealEd Process

With the help of a great many people I've finally figured out the process of converting worlds made in UnrealEd (the Unreal engine level editor found in all versions of Unreal Tournament and apparently also Rune) into Vizard worlds. I'm still working on figuring a lot of it out, but I'll post what I have so if anyone else wants to try it out they can.
The converter which is used to turn the .unr files into .wrl is on this site: http://darendash.home.comcast.net/Converter.html#VRML
There are also instructions on how to do the conversions, as well as a description of how it's done.
I'm using UnrealEd2.0, which comes with the original UnrealTournament. Any version of UnrealEd should work though, and the conversion site has instructions on what you might need to change to make the different versions work.

Step 1: Make a World
Making levels in UnrealEd is a fairly straight forward process. You can find tutorials all over the place, such as this one: http://www.planetunreal.com/squacky/unrealed.htm The only thing you have to worry about at this stage is that VRML only reads added brushes, not subtracted. So you'll need to hollow out a big space and then use hollow brushes to make the rooms. Apparenty there's a way to convert an entire level into a single added brush. I think this is done by surrounding the final product with a brush, clicking 'intersect', and then adding the entire brush to a hollow space in a new level. I haven't tried this yet, but it should work.

Step 2: Conversion
Once you've got your map export it as a .t3d Take the textures you're using and export them as .bmp files using ucc.exe found in UT's system folder. The process for that is on the conversion site's front page. Then you'll need to convert those .bmp's to .jpg's and put them in the same directory as the .t3d. Now run UnrealToX3D. The default settings aren't what you'll be using. I don't pretend to understand all of the options, but here's what I'm using that works:
General: Set encoding to VRML97 and uncheck Make image pre-loading javaskript.
Geometry: Check 'do movers', 'convert geometry', and 'seperate ISFs'. The scale mine is set to is .19, but I might need to change that is it's coming out a tiny bit small.
Lights: Check everything. Under Intensity set the intensity to 1. Set the light radius to 1000.
Views: Uncheck 'Generate default viewpoint'.

Step 3: Into Vizard
The conversion should give you a .wrl. Load that into Vizard with:
room = viz.add( 'demo2.wrl' )

So that's what I have so far. I'll post again when I figure out the scaling a bit better or when I figure out how to convert the subtracted brushes into added brushes. If you're looking for a new way to make detailed worlds in a fairly quick and easy way you should definitely give this a try. You can pick up an old copy of Unreal Tournament for about $2 on e-bay.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 AM

Thumbs up

Nice guide. Thanks for including all the details!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: