WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Plug-in development

Old 06-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Smile Radiosity...

Does anyone can point me in the direction how to simulate/creating a plug in renderer to simulate radiosity in Vizard?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Well, radiosity is a very compute-intensive way of determining the diffuse-to-diffuse light transport from surface to surface. There's no "real time" way to compute this, and as objects move, any computation would have to be done over. Each polygon in a scene affects every other polygon in a scene, and the effect is proportional to their surface areas. So for a scene with N polygons, you are talking at least N*N complex calculations to determine any extra lighting effects.

To emulate either radiosity in a static scene, or ambient occlusion on each individual object in a scene, the typical approach would be to divide your geometry mesh into smallish polygons, and precompute a UV texture map or a set of vertex colors that can be applied to the mesh during rendering.

This precomputed information is just like a color texture image or vertex colors, except it affects the lighting values on the model instead of the surface color.

I hope that's enough to start googling.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: