WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 AM

Export from 3Ds Max to Vizard

I have no problem using the OSGExp to export 3Ds Mx scenes into Vizard.
My 3Ds Max is configured using meters as a system unit and feet with decimal inches as unit scale. When I add the .ive scene in Vizard, it comes out great, but is totally misplaced and misoriented. I am having a hard time trying to reorient and reposition the scene in Vizard, in order for this scene to be positionned and oriented the way it was in 3 Ds Max.

Any rule I might not be aware of or might have forgotten that could simplify my life doing this, in 3Ds Max or in Vizard?

Thanks
Patrick
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 AM

Using the stage

Also, I have used the stage to reposition the scene the way I want, but it is still totally different when I run the script.

Any info welcome!

Thanks
Patrick
Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 AM

Problem solved

hey guys:

My problem was actually not the scene positioning that has been correct all along after playing with the stage. I just had to move my viewpoint to the correct position. The stage has been the key tool for me to get this correctly.

Sorry for this newbie question!
Patrick
Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 AM

Glad to hear you figured it ou!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hey, Patrick.

While you've already solved the problem, I have a quick tutorial on what you would do in Max if you had a similar problem in the future involving the entire scene facing the wrong direction.

So let's say when you open up your exported file in vizard, you realize that it's facing sideways along Vizard's X axis, rather than towards you along its Z axis (which is 3ds Max's Y axis as you may recall).

The first thing you would do is unhide and unfreeze everything in the scene, hit select all, then select Group... from the Group menu. This will let you take the entire scene and rotate it as a whole. By default, groups have thier own pivot points located at the group's center. Rotating around this point would mean dragging the group back into position every time it is rotated. To prevent this, go to the Hierarcy Tab of the Command panel, then to Pivot ---> Affect Pivot Only and move the pivot point to (0',0',0') so it will be vertically aligned with the initial viewpoint.

Once that is done, turn off Affect Pivot Only, and rotate the scene so that when you look at it from Front view, you are looking in the same direction that you want to be looking when you open the scene in vizard. If you rotate the group freehand rather than typing in a rotation value, I recommend turning on Angle Snap, found at the top of the viewport (the red magnet with an angle behind it). This will keep the rotation to increments of 5 degrees.

--Mike

Last edited by Veleno; 08-25-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Export from 3Ds Max to Vizard

Thanks Mike for the detaild and clear reply!

This is a useful systematic method that will avoid me from having to mess around with he stage in Vizard.

Patrick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: