WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 07-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Patriot Polhemus System

Hi,

I got my patriot system set up but my question is whether the small gray box needs to be attached to the wall or the user has to hold it on his/her hands. I've seen pictures of caves where people are wearing the goggles and holding a small cube on one of the hands. Is that the case? Also, does any vibration in the box (sensor) would be a problem to the receive the information from the computer?

Thanks,

Vinicius
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

The receiver (gray box) is usually at a fixed location. The position/orientation of the sensor is relative to the receiver position/orientation. Any jitter in either the sensor or receiver will probably result in some jitter of the output data.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:46 PM

Hi farshizzo,

I was wondering if it would be possible to see an image of a Patriot setup so that I can get an idea of where the components should be placed. I am working with a 5-foot radius tracking system with one 5DT data glove and one set of Emagin goggles. My email is vinicius-lima@uiowa.edu
Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

There is not one "correct" way to configure a patriot system. The configuration mostly depends on your needs ... mostly. What kind of simulation are you running?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Hi,

We are using Vizard for Interior Design projects. We want to be able to walk around spaces and digital environments and use the goggles and glove properly, as for example, to touch a chair. And because of that, we need to know where would be the best placement for the receiver. Should it be on the ceiling, on the floor, or on the walls?

Thanks,

Vinicius
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi,

The ideal position would be on the floor, however if you are attaching the sensor to the head and hands, then they might go out of range of the receiver. If you are noticing that the data is very jittery, then you might need to place the receiver on a table, so that it is closer to the sensors. If you do this, then you will need to offset the sensor data in your Vizard script to adjust for the new height.

Have you tested out the sensor range? What is the maximum acceptable distance the sensors can be from the receiver?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: