WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Texture color noise

Hi, Having a problem in Vizard, displaying the color of some textures, with either a border or the whole color of the texture has been changed, or noise has been added. I'll attach some SS. One is the Max render, showing what it should look like, the other is Vizard's real time render.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS001.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	597   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS002.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	598  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Can you attach the model or texture you're using?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi nkinerd,

This can be caused by a few different things, usually related to the bitdepth of the texture or the texture output settings. If you post a copy of your texture, I can tell you if there's anything odd about it. Alternatively, you can upload a zip of your scene to our support page:
http://www.worldviz.com/support/upload
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Hey thanks for the replies.

Here is the texture file. I did do some post processing in photoshop to match the colors of the exit text to the arrow. But there is also some discoloration when vizard gets close to the exit text which did not have any post processing on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	specialized_01.png
Views:	921
Size:	565.8 KB
ID:	599  

Last edited by nkinerd; 06-02-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: hmm .psd wouldn't load easily. Might be too big.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:54 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Your texture itself looks pretty normal, so it's most likely your image output settings affecting the export in an undesirable way.

First off, go ahead and grab the most recent version of the exporter.
http://www.worldviz.com/support/download/

1. Are you embedding textures in your exported files, or are you having them save out to a subfolder? (image output settings typically only affect textures saved to a subfolder instead of the external file)

2. If you are saving to a subfolder, what format have you chosen under Texture State -> Texture Format?

The settings used when saving images from Max are accessed when exporting and storing images outside of the exported file. Typically this should have no effect on embedded images. These output settings can currently be accessed from any image saving dialogue. A much more direct way to modify those settings is currently being tested for the next release of the OSG exporter.

The correct setting generally works out to be the one that results in an 8 bits per channel RGB or RGBA, though the dialogs are set up a bit differently for each format.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM

We are exporting everything from Maya into Max and then using the latest exporter, from Max to Viz. It's going out as one file right now, so all the textures are embedded.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:12 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Seems like I'll need to take a look at your source files to solve the problem.

Go ahead and zip up a set of files that reproduces the problem and upload it here. Be sure to include a preset saved from the most recent version of the exporter and a copy of your export. Let me know if you aren't sure how to save a preset.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:16 AM

Hey thanks for the replies.

You mentioned bit depth so I compared my texture to other textures in our scene that weren't having the issue. I noticed in photoshop that the Image->Mode-> Bits/channel weren't the same for each texture file. So setting those both to 8 bits/channel fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: