WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Connecting to VICON Nexus

Hi all,

I am relatively new to using Vizard and my programming experience has its limitations so I appologize if my question has an obvious answer. The lab I work for recently upgraded our VICON motion capture system from IQ to Nexus and we are trying to establish the connection between VIZARD and our new VICON system. My understanding is that the 'vicon.dle' plugin is not functional with Nexus and that we must instead use VRPN and the 'VRPN7.dle' plugin.

I am a bit lost at how to set this up though and what code is necessary to get VIZARD and nexus communicating. Does anyone have some tips, tutorials or example code that at their disposal that would walk me through the process of getting VIZARD to gathe marker and object information from Nexus? I know this is a fairly broad question and as I plug away at it I will update my post if I can narrow it down, but any help or guidance would be great. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 AM

Hi RoboPandA,

May I ask what you application is and where are you from? Nexus is not designed to allow for connection to VRPN Clients. For immersive environments, Vicon Tracker would be much more suitable. Not only does it have a built in VRPN server that works very well with Vizard without requiring any plugins, it is highly optimized to give lower latency and better tracking from rigid bodies - ideal for HMD or parallax tracking.

If you would like to try it, you can download a copy from Vicon Online Support that includes a 30 day trial license.

Regards,

Warren Lester
Product Manager
Vicon Motion Systems Ltd.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Hi RoboPandA,

My assumption is that the vicon.dle does work with Nexus via Vicon's DataStream SDK.

My understanding is that some folks want to record data with Nexus, while presenting a virtual reality. I'm not aware of a way to have Vicon's Nexus and Vicon's Tracker software connected to Vicon cameras at the same time. Warren, perhaps there is a way?

If people have some experience with Vicon's Nexus and Vizard vicon.dle, would be good to hear from you.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:05 AM

open source method to stream Nexus to Vizard

I've created an opensource way to stream Nexus to Vizard using tcp. Let me know if this is feasible or if you have any questions.
https://github.com/willpower2727/Vicon2WorldViz

Tags
nexus, vicon, vrpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: