WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 12:48 AM

Maya -> VRML

Hi! I'm new here, and fairly new to Vizard. I am trying to use Maya to export VRML files, since it is the program I am most familiar with and have access to. Is anyone else here using Maya? I am having trouble getting things to show up close to how they appear in the Maya scene. The lighting and texturing are always too dark, and some objects get deformed or out of place. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Jason
Old 10-02-2003, 07:29 AM
WorldViz Team Member

I'm not familliar with the problems you're talking about, but if you could reply and attach a small Maya file along with its exported VRML translation I'd be happy to take a look at it.

You might try exporting as OBJ instead of VRML from Maya and see if the problems you are experiencing change using the OBJ loader instead.

RE lighting, you may prefer to have Vizard apply textures in DECAL mode rather than the default of MODULATE (which applies the lighting models). To switch to DECAL mode, issue:

Code:
myObject = viz.add('theObject.obj')
myObject.appearance(viz.DECAL)
Old 10-09-2003, 11:01 PM

Thanks so much for your reply! I attached a Maya file (.mb) and the resulting VRML file (.wrl). As you can see, there are weird artifacts that seem to come about from the drawer handles and other objects, sitting in the middle of the room. They seem to when performing manipulations other than resizing and moving. I also don't know too much about the Vizard lighting system, or what would be the best texture for the walls, but I can't seem to get the lighting right, so that you can at least tell where the corners of the room are.

Thanks for your time, and let me know if you have any suggestions. Sorry for all the questions from a newbie!

- Jason
Attached Files
File Type: zip scene2.zip (38.0 KB, 1745 views)
Old 10-13-2003, 11:39 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Jason-

Thanks for the attached Maya model. I will look at it and try to get back to you by mid-week.

Can you send along an .obj version of the file (your Maya program should offer that as an export format)?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:39 PM

The exported .obj file was even worse.... I managed to work around the problem when exporting to VRML: the strange articfacts were all the objects in the Maya world placed at the origin (0,0,0) and without any textures. I "fixed" this by translating the entire scene off in one direction and then exporting to the VRML file. I then translated the imported VRML file in Vizard back. There are then two copies of the world, one all messed up, and the other one accurate. It's working for now....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: