WorldViz User Forum  

Go Back   WorldViz User Forum > Vizard

Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 AM

Duplicate Monitor w/ 2 GPUs (Wirks)

I am using the Wirks package (Sony HMD, etc.) and running it with a Dell M4600 that has an integrated Intel HD and NVIDIA 2000M discreet GPU. I have discovered that with the NVIDIA Optimus Technology that comes with the two GPUs that you can not duplicate screen displays under "screen resolution" - "multiple displays". The laptop screen is on the Intel and the Sony HMD is on the NVIDIA automatically because of the HMDI connection.

From searching online I have tried a few things:
1) disabling the Intel graphics through device manager and having everything go through the NVIDIA but then the HMD does not show up as a monitor.
2) disabling the Optimus technology at the BIOS level and having everything go through the NVIDIA but then the HMD does not show up as a monitor.
3) updated all drivers and BIOS

Under "screen resolution" resolution you can extend desktop across the laptop screen and HMD, which will work. I was just curious if anyone had another idea or knows of a way to duplicate screen when you have two GPUs and Optimus technology?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Do both monitors have the same resolution (1280×720)? Also, I'm not sure if this is true for all cases, but duplicating displays might only be available for monitors that are attached to the same GPU.

If extending across both displays works, then you can have Vizard go fullscreen across both monitors and render a stereo signal to the HMD and a mono signal to the laptop monitor. This might actually be better than duplicating the display, since you will get a full resolution image rendered to the laptop monitor. The downside is that this can hurt the rendering performance, depending on the complexity of your scene.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM

No the two screens are not the same resolution, Laptop is 1920 x 1080 and the Sony HMZ-T1 is 1280 x 720.

From my trials and troubleshooting it seems like duplicating screens is only available if both are running off of the same GPU. Was hoping that someone possible has an alternative solution to make my laptop monitor run off of the NVIDIA that I have not tried already.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Have you tried setting the laptop resolution to match the HMD resolution (1280 x 720)? Probably won't change anything, but it's worth a shot.

Tags
wirks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: