View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 02:27 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for clarifying that some degree of nausea may be unavoidable when using a gamepad controller to rotate the view. The environment the user is exploring is quite small, and the feeling of nausea is very mild (at least for me) when the rate of turning is slowed down a lot; but slowing the turning down is itself undesirable for the experiment and I want to allow faster turning if possible. To this end, I've cleared an area around the user's chair and dropped the HMD cable from the ceiling so as to allow the user to rotate his/herself instead of using the gamepad to rotate the view. However, I've found that when facing directly away from the Oculus tracker a glitch occurs: when examining a nearby object, moving the head forwards to look at it more closely causes the object to retreat, while moving the head backward causes it to advance. The glitch can be rectified by using the gamepad to rotate the view whilst turning the head to keep looking at the object: at some point the view will 'bump' and the glitch will be fixed. But the glitch comes back if the user faces away from the tracker again. A combination of turning the head, so that the user is no longer facing directly away from the tracker, and using the gamepad to rotate the view seems to be required, since merely turning the head to face the tracker fails to rectify the glitch. I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm displaying the camera bounds using <hmd>.addCameraBounds() and it doesn't look as if I'm straying outside the bounds. Is the tracker just unable to cope when the user is facing directly away, or is there some software routine I can use to automatically correct this glitch when it occurs?

Thanks,
Richard.