Thread: Sony HMZ-T1 HMD
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM
WorldViz Team Member

I just tested a solution that allows viewing full resolution stereo on the Sony HMD. The HMD accepts the HDMI 3D Frame Packing format as input. Apparently, the nVidia Quadro 3D Vision drivers can automatically convert the quad buffer output of an OpenGL application into this 3D Frame Packing format.

Here are the steps I took to get it working.
  1. If multiple displays are connected, make the Sony HMD the primary display. I experienced strange bugs with the driver if the Sony HMD was not the primary display.
  2. Enable quad buffer stereo in the nVidia Control Panel, 3D Settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Stereo - Enable -> On
  3. Enable 3D vision stereo in the nVidia Control Panel, Stereoscopic 3D -> Set up stereoscopic 3D and check Enable stereoscopic 3D. The Stereoscopic 3D display type field should display 3DTV Play.
  4. In your Vizard script, pass the viz.QUAD_BUFFER and viz.HMD flags to viz.go and make the Sony HMD the fullscreen monitor. For example, if the HMD was connected as monitor 2, you would use the following code:
    Code:
    import viz
    viz.window.setFullscreenMonitor(2)
    viz.go(viz.QUAD_BUFFER | viz.HMD)
Make sure automatic 3D signal detection is enabled on the HMD, and it should automatically switch to 3D mode when you run your script.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a solution for full resolution stereo with GeForce GPUs.