View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 PM

reset intersense not working

Hi,

I am trying to "reset my intersense" and am not having much luck.

I have followed what the manual says and gotten error messages (as has Jerry in a posting of 2007). (e.g. various attempts at callling resetHeading results in error messages. Other attempts with reset have also resulted in errors)

I searched the forum for suggestions by searching on the word "reset". There were a few relevant posts and the most helpful one occurred I think in 2007 between jerry and farshizzo. I tried farshizzo's suggested code (i.e. his last code entry), invoked his script, and hit the 'r' key. The weird arrows displayed re-orient themselves. As a potentially auspicous sign, there were no error messages on my console window (or whatever you call that window underneath where I type my code).

But then when escape from farshizzo's code and I then run my own code, it still uses the bad old coordinates. I find I am facing about 260 degrees rather than 0 degrees.

I thought, perhaps when I execute farshizzo's code it will not remember the new orientation between runs. Thus, I thought if I put his code (except for the stuff that draws the weird arrows) directly in my code, run it, hit the 'r' key, then my world world rotate around such that I was indeed facing the desired 0 degrees. When I did that I *still* do not get my world to re-orient itself.

Perhaps the previous posters had different goals that I did not understand.

If so, let me explain my basic goal:

I have my HMD sitting on my desk. It is facing forward toward my monitor. When my code is run and my world starts up, I want the yaw of the direction that the avatar's (to put it another way: the human user looking through the HMD) to be 0 degrees.

Right now, when my HMD sits in the above orientation on my desk when my world starts, we find that we are always initially facing about 260 degrees. This is not what I want. I want 0 degrees.

How do I make this happen? (If you could err on the side of explaining things very clearly for a newbie like me I would appreciate it).

(I suppose I could hack it by forcing the view to rotate such that the default view ends up being 0 degrees, but this would be inelegant and likely to bite us later. It's time I learn to do it the Right Way).

Thanks very much,

Bill

p.s. I am running vizard 3.0