View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Since the objects are in some x,y,z location in the world and I'm remaining stationary and simply changing my gaze/orientation, I needed a way to determine wether or not my viewpoint was "on top of" the target. I need to be able to move the laser pointer (by moving my head) "over" one of these targets (within a specified tolerance (i.e. hotspot)) in order to trigger the next target. The problem that I'm having is sometimes the next target is triggered when the laser pointer is above and sometimes when it's below the current target (and I think that's because the laser pointer is tied to the screen--see previous post). I need to make the laser pointer visible and tied to my field of view (ideally in the center of my FOV) so that I can navigate it in a 1:1 manner over the targets in order to initiate the next target.

Code:
def __checkHeading( self ):	# make into a timer that runs repeatedly
		if self.targetYawPitch != [None, None]:
			# Get a handle to the current head position
			global CurrentLocation
			#print "CurrentLocation", CurrentLocation
			# update the location of the hotspot relative to the current head position
			self.targetYawPitch[0] 	= self.findBearing( viz.get(viz.HEAD_POS), self.currentTargetPos )
			self.targetYawPitch[1] 	= self.findPitch( viz.get(viz.HEAD_POS), self.currentTargetPos )
			#self.targetYawPitch[0] 	= self.findBearing( CurrentLocation[0:3] , self.currentTargetPos )
			#self.targetYawPitch[1] 	= self.findPitch( CurrentLocation[0:3], self.currentTargetPos )

# get the current pitch and yaw of the participant's head
			currentYaw = viz.get(viz.HEAD_YAW)
			currentPitch = viz.get(viz.HEAD_PITCH)
			#currentYaw = viz.get(CurrentLocation[3])
			#currentPitch = viz.get(CurrentLocation[4])

print "Target direction [yaw, pitch] =", self.targetYawPitch
			print "Current gaze direction [yaw, pitch] =", [currentYaw, currentPitch]
			print "\tDifference:", currentYaw-self.targetYawPitch[0],currentPitch-self.targetYawPitch[1]
			print

#print "((currentYaw - self.targetYawPitch[0]) < self.hotspot) = ((%s -%s) < %s)" %(str(currentYaw), str(self.targetYawPitch[0]), str(self.hotspotTolerance))
			#print "((currentPitch - self.targetYawPitch[1]) < self.hotspotTolerance) = ((%s -%s) < %s)" %(str(currentPitch), str(self.targetYawPitch[1]), str(self.hotspotTolerance))

# Check to see if they are looking at the target	
			if (abs(currentYaw - self.targetYawPitch[0]) < self.hotspotTolerance) and (abs(currentPitch - self.targetYawPitch[1]) < self.hotspotTolerance):

print "((currentYaw - self.targetYawPitch[0]) < self.hotspotTolerance) = ((%s -%s) < %s)" %(str(currentYaw), str(self.targetYawPitch[0]), str(self.hotspotTolerance))
				print (abs(currentYaw - self.targetYawPitch[0]) < self.hotspotTolerance)

print "((currentPitch - self.targetYawPitch[1]) < self.hotspotTolerance) = ((%s -%s) < %s)" %(str(currentPitch), str(self.targetYawPitch[1]), str(self.hotspotTolerance))
				print (abs(currentPitch - self.targetYawPitch[1]) < self.hotspotTolerance)
				# people are looking at the target
				# flag the data and go on to the next target here
				print "Hit Target", self.targetNames[self.currentTarget], "at", self.targetYawPitch
				self.checkHeading.stop()
				self.goToNextTarget( )
				WriteFlag()

def findPitch(self, ptFrom=[0,0,0], ptTo=[0,0,0]):
		lenHypot 	= vizmat.Distance(ptFrom, ptTo)#, dimensions=3)	#
		lenRise		= ptFrom[1] - ptTo[1]			#
		if (lenRise == 0):
			return (0) # pitch = zero if two points are at equal height
		pitch = math.asin(float(abs(lenRise)) / lenHypot )	# Determine magnitude of pitch
		pitch *= [-1, 1][(lenRise <= 0)]	# Determine sign of pitch
		return ((pitch/math.pi) * 180)

def findBearing(self, ptFrom=[0,0,0], ptTo=[0,0,0] ):
		"""Calculate the bearing (relative to North) between two points"""
		# Assuming ptFrom is origin, determine ptTo quadrant
		if ptFrom == ptTo:
			# Points are the same, so return a bearing of zero (actually undefined?)
			return 0
		else:
			xDiff = float(ptTo[0] - ptFrom[0])
			yDiff = float(ptTo[2] - ptFrom[2])
			if xDiff == 0:
				# Points N-S aligned
				return ( [0,180][yDiff<0] )	# Returns 0 deg or 180 deg
			elif yDiff == 0:
				# Points E-W aligned
				return ( 90 * cmp(xDiff, 0) )	# Returns 90 deg or -90 deg
			elif yDiff > 0:
				# ptTo is Northward, unaligned
				return ( vizmat.degrees( math.atan(abs(xDiff) / abs(yDiff)) ) * cmp(xDiff, 0) )
			else:
				# ptTo is Southward, unaligned
				return ( (180 * cmp(xDiff, 0)) - (vizmat.degrees( math.atan(abs(xDiff) / abs(yDiff)) ) * cmp(xDiff, 0)) )
please help!!!!!!!!!!