View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Lightbulb Suggestions....

Hi There,

I'm not certain what are you trying to do here. Perhaps, I could give some hints. I would recommend you to use .OSG format and later grab the sub-components by using .getchild function. For static object, these should be fine. This is how I do static objects in my scenes.

However, for dynamic object, this is not a common practice. We always put the dynamic object in as a separate file from the static ones. And only 1 dynamic object per file.

I'm using blender (mostly) and Max at the same time, these steps outline below works for blender, however, you should be able to replicate the method in MAX;

0. Finalise the scene, without further moving the objects around.
1. put the shiny object in a different layer without changing the object coordinate location.
2. put the dull-looking object in a separate layer without changing the object coordinate location.
3. separate the dynamic object from the static ones, and export them out one layer at a time.
4. you might end up with... let's say 4 files.. MarsTerrains.OSG (dull-looking object), MarsLifeChambers.OSG (shiny metal looking), MarsRover.OSG (dynamic, moving) and MarsLander.OSG (dynamic, moving)
5. If you need to access objects within these .OSG(s), use .getchild() function.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Iwan
PhD candidate
Macq. Uni Sydney - Australia

[further note] In our departments, some people are relying heavily on VRML format because lots of papers say that this format is good for VR purpose. From my experience, this has been somewhat... a little curse. Vizard is built on OpenSceneGraph rendering engine, therefore, sticking with it's native mesh format .OSG would be the best option. For Characters animation, please use CAL3D, more efficient.