View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 AM

Wow, I guess you could spend $1200 on a dual-monitor card if you wanted, but you should be able to get one for much less. They come in the $100 range for basic older models. We have a sweet NVIDIA GTX 285, which was around $500 and is really total overkill for the eMagin visor (we're planning for a fancier rig), so it depends of course on what you need for graphics rendering capabilities. I'd guess that you probably already have a card that works well with your current setup, so if you have room in your computer, you could just get a second video card with a single VGA connection. I think those are in the $30 range.

A splitter would cost about $20, and you wouldn't have to take your box apart to install it, but I think having dual outputs is a significant benefit and worth the effort.

I didn't mean to confuse you about 'altering our setup.' All I meant was that our physical setup was like yours--the monitor output was the backfeed from the visor--but in order to make the changes that I described, we had to unhook the monitor from the backfeed, connect the splitter to the VGA connector on the video card, then connect the monitor to one output and the visor to the other. Not exactly onerous, but different. I don't recall altering our code at all, although we might have had to set the display mode, like you suggested. I can't remember now.

Also, if it isn't a forum transgression to do so, I'd recommend TigerDirect.com and NewEgg.com for computer parts. I have had very good experiences with both sites, and they have really good deals too.

This time, it should work...