Thread: 3d projector
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
WorldViz Team Member

this is an interesting question and some of it has to be researched with nVidia.

as far as Vizard is concerned, any higher end nVidia graphics card will work with it.

regarding running an application in stereo, there are two level of support from nVidia:

- the regular 'consumer' cards come with a 'consumer stereo driver' that allows page flipping (i.e. 'active', i.e. 'flickering) stereo with fullscreen mode. however, this consumer driver is known to be flaky specifically on laptops. i have it working on my laptop here with an nVidia 6800 card, and we got it working reliably many times with the 7900 cards series.
nVidia has promised to release a stereo driver for their 8800 series for about 1/2 year now, but I don't think it's available yet. this is very annoying for a lot of users of the new powerful 8800 cards.

- the 'professional' cards from nVidia are the 'quadro' series cards. they can do quad buffering, and can do active stereo not only fullscreen, but also in windows.
so theoretically, a laptop with a quadro card should be the most professional solution.
we have several laptops here with the quadro 2500 card which run active stereo perfectly (Dell Precision). also the 3500 cards worked fine.
however, we had reports from customers that there are problems with active stereo with the newer lower priced dell quadro cards for laptops. we could not confirm this as we don't have one of those units in house for testing, but I have seen discussions about it repeatedly now.

the best is to go to the nVidia user forums and confirm that the exact card that you are planning to use has been successfully used by other users for active stereo.